NOVA Second Rut?? >

NOVA Second Rut??

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

NOVA Second Rut??

Old 12-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default NOVA Second Rut??

Anyone had any experiences with it? Good or bad? I've been told by a few experienced hunters in the Northern Virginia area (this is my first year bowhunting NOVA)that it has the potential to explode like the first rutseeing how the overwhelmingpopulation of does (yearlings and mature) more than likely outnumber the bucks and they simply don't stay in estrous long enough for bucks to service them all. Just looking for thoughts/opinions here guys and gals.If it is anything like the rut I experienced this November in NOVA we're in for a good time.

Three days in a rowin the middle of November I sat all day and saw more bucks thanI could count on two hands each day. I arrowed another nice 3.5yo8 pt around Noon on one of those days and passed on several 2.5's and 1.5's. The entrance wound isnot visible in this photo. He was quartering away from me pretty good. I placed the arrow a little further back than I would have liked tobut the arrowquarteredall the way through him and buriedinto his his off side shoulder. He didn't go 20 feet from where I shot him.Needless to say, I've been hunting more and posting less since the beginning of November and probably will continue to do so until January 3rd. Hope everyone is having a good season so far....good luck to all.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NOVA Second Rut??

it does have the potential to get crazy yes!, but this years rut in NOVA is nothing like it has been in years past. It seems very stretched out which seems to happen once every four years.

But on the whole it can be a good second rut. The bucks are still in the mood, I got a decent one saturday that I kept in the area by grunting at him like i was chasing a doe. When a doe came in he followed her the rest of the way.

I usually see the small ones go into heat a few weeks after the peak rut, so maybe this weekend or next week you might start seeing some chasing. Id focus on food sources, the lack of acorns this year is big problem, and if you got some food in the area, your going to find the bucks, feeding and looking for the hot does.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Good going bro! Have you had any luck down at the club?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 AM

How does everyone feel going into tomorrow up here in NOVA? Looks like we are in for some ideal weather conditions. Cold temps and light winds. Anyone go out this morning? Are they moving?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

I was out this evening, Friday, and saw nothing. I only heard one shotaround 5:00 pm.
Usually I see a few on the drive home-again nothing.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw a buck and a doe jump out of a thicket together today when I bumped them.

Not sure what that means.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a mature doe for the landowner last night in Culpeper. They moved pretty early yesterday, that is if they're not spooked by firearms season.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 AM

We saw a bunch of does out saturday morning. The weather this week might have them moving around. I think this weekend has the potential to be another great day in NOVA. Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah this weekend could be good again. I hunted all day Friday and Saturday. Saw plenty of deer, the evening seemed to work better for me then the mornings. Had my body shoot a doe saturday as we are trying to lower the number of doe's. took it to the butcher and there were some good bucks in there, one was at least 150" 11point. The best buck i saw saturday was at 2pm, he was a nice, he cut from the creek bottom to the deep cherry thicket, never had a shot.

I think the deer are moving all night long, due to the cold, they seem to bed up quick in the morning, but get on there feet really early in the afternoon, best bet is to sit all day if you can stay warm, or make sure your in the woods by 1pm for the evening hunt. Granted this is just what there doing where im at.