Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Dog hunting outlaws >

Dog hunting outlaws

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Dog hunting outlaws

Old 12-09-2008, 09:30 AM

Default RE: Dog hunting outlaws

I have two comments, so this will be a long post but please read it all the way thru.

First, I hear both pro and anti dog hunting arguements all the time on this board. Personally, I'm more of an anti dog hunting person but I'm not extreme about it. I could and would be supportive of dog hunting if dog hunters would be more respectful of land owners and other hunters. For those dog hunters out there, a few bad apples ARE destroying dog hunting, it's time for you guys to wake up and police your own before dog hunting is totally banned.

Second, most of the extreme posts in this thread infer corrupt law enforcement or local politicans. I have to say this absurd. If you read all the posts that basically state "law enforcement did nothing"...maybe it means they're not corrupt but that simply no laws are broken. Not only game laws apply but also normal everydaycriminal and civil law. So if the dog hunter is breaking one, then have them charged. If not, the shut up!!
Old 12-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Spike

I went out to a 17 acre piece i own yesterday and walked right up on a guy sitting in my treestand[:@]. I ask him what the heck he is doing there and his reponse was that they and 3 other friends leased it for 5 years to bow hunt. I told him I bought it 2 YEARS AGO, and he says sorry calls his buddy hunting about 200 yards down the powerline to go to the truck. i asked him if he thought he had left that stand behind and got no response. Just goes to show that there are all kinds of hunters breaking laws out there, just the dog hunters(the ones who ACTUALLY do half the things they are acused of) are noticed because of the dogs running, and not trying to hide. All hunters need to respect each others way of hunting, and get along. Dog hunting is going nowhere! I do not dog hunt but am not dumb enough to believe that it is in jeporady.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

There is bad seeds in all forms of hunting. I have said it before I am not dog hunter, and I dont have a problem with them as long as they respect everybodies land and the animals. The same goes for still hunters. My biggest problem now is with a guy who always tresspasses on my property. He has been warned many of time. Saw him again last week, as soon as he saw me coming towards him and ran like a fat kidgoing to cake. He doesnt have dogs he is just a piece of trash that likes to tresspass cause he only has a small field to hunt and i have all the woods and the creek bottom in the area. Other land owners got it out for him too. He wounds deer, and shoots in all direction paying no attention to livestock, barns and houses. They even put orange collars on the goats because they know he is around. Just goes to show there are problems everywhere, just handle things in a civilized way the best you can.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 3sheets

ORIGINAL: dogger69

Gee Va houndsman, I agree with you. Reswire is just gonna have to get over it. I can come on his property any damn time I please, and he'll just have to get used to it. My dogs can't read signs, and I can't talk to dogs like Dr. Dolittle does. I've got grandparents who hunted with dogs, and I plan for my grandchildren to do the same. If my dogs run deer off of his property, too bad. Maybe he needs to buy some better fences. I've got laws to protect me, all he has is some whine and cheese.

Hound hunters have more rights than police officers do. A cop can't go on his property without probable cause, but I can go there anytime. I can walk on his front lawn, look into his barn, and swim in his pool if my dog might be on the bottom. Just because there are more criminals in society today thanever before, the right to retrieve law is not hurting him one bit. I'm one of those dog hunters who say"keep everything the same, everybody else in Virginia willjust have to put up with my evil ways".

No sarcasm or thoughts of compromise in my soul. I'm just a good'ole redneck boy.
Excellent post; Hell, I'd like to see at least a dozen more exactly like it.

Well.... thats not exactly how it works. The right to retrieve is just that.... retrieve.... its not a right to search for.

But even at that... if you just thought your dogs were on another's property... how hard is it to go knock on the door and just give a courtesy hello. Most folks in areas where dogs have been run for decades are used to it, and in this day and age its better to ask for permission than beg forgiveness.

I think that if folks would just have a little common courtesy for their neighbors and fellow hunters then a lot of these issues wouldn't be occuring at all. If hunters and landowners would just communicate with each other rather than throwing temper tantrums in the newspapers about he shot my dog, and he is on my property and his dog did this and I saw him here and he is touching me and she is looking at me and he is breathing on me..... it has just gotten so trivial and its going to be a downward spiral if folks don't start just acting decent to one another again.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

I never said anything about corrupt. Just friendly good 'ol boys keepin the outsider out.

My suggestion to solve the matter was:
You can't make the change with small numbers in voting. Or judge ignorance.
The only change will be made with the greater number of votes........most of the time.
I have learned this the hard way. Its kinda like the criminals have more rights to protect themthan we do sometimes.
So you have to use the system to work for you..........VOTE in LARGERNUMBERS.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Spike

I hunt with dogs as well as still hunt. Both have there unique experences. There are a few that ruin that experience for others. Both still hunters and dog hunters. To eliminate dog hunting would be a heart breaker for a lot of people.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

It is illegal to run deer with dogs in Tn but it has absolutely no effect on poachers and trespassers. If someone is going to trespass they don't need a dog to do it. The worst thing around here is spot lighters and road hunters. Neither group cares if its your land or the Mayors they just shoot anything they see. I would 10-1 rather have dog hunters here than the spot lighters and road hunters. Atleast the dog hunters get there deer. The spot lighters and road hunters will just shoot them and drive off50% the time leaving them to rot and then about 40% will just cut off there heads(bucks) or there hams(does) leaving about 10% that actually have enough nerve to get them whole. Wait till you get the fun of putting up a stand on a high ridge where you can see the road in the distance and watcha10-20 trucks drive by at 10 mph looking for deer. Its really great when you watch them stop, shoot, and grab a deer from the road and your too far away to do anything. It happens here regularly and we don't have enough wildlife officers to stop them.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

If youcatch someone doing something illegal on your land, or anywhere,and you can get their name, or a tag, or something to ID the person you can go to a magistrate and swear out warrants. The Code of Virginia can be found online at the VA State Police website. Find what code section they have violated, go to a magistrate, and tell him what happend. All you have to do is prove probable cause that someone broke alaw and the magistrate should issue a warrant.
Also, it doesn't matter if your in dog hunting country or a national forrest, the good ol boy system is EVERYWHERE. Its just like stupid hunters, you will never get rid of either one.
Here is some food for thought.You have a hunt club on your land and they are doing something illegal. Lets say there is 50 members. You call a deputy and he comes out and investigates. The Sheriff loses one vote if he makes the land owner mad. The Sheriff loses 50 votes if he makes the hunt club mad. Simple politics.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are bad apples in every bunch. It's unfortunate that you are taking it out on all dog hunters. Even if it's the majority of 1 club and no other clubs around, I'd start on them 1st. Even if the police/sherrif doesn't do anything about it, it can still become a civil matter, you just need to do what jerrrstanley said.

Quick Reply: Dog hunting outlaws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.