Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Just to much to shoot!  Oh the agony. >

Just to much to shoot! Oh the agony.

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Just to much to shoot! Oh the agony.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just to much to shoot! Oh the agony.

Okely dokely we went again. I took Todd (T Bare) and my 12 year old nephew Wesley up to the lease. We did the Friday night hunt and Saturday morning hunt gimmick. I picked them up early around 10 to 11 a.m. so we could go hang a dedicated gun stand on a new tree. We went up and I gave the guy who let me go on his land some grouper and we went into the lease. Todd wanted to hunt the end of the road feeder and we tried to hang the new stand but we did not succeed. We needed a bit more time. I took Wesley into my oaks stand and we settled in at 4:45.

The feeder went off at 5:15 and at 5:20 I had my first set of piggies come rushing in. It was a nice sow around 80 pounds with 7 to 8 little guys going on 5 pounds. I had my 30-06 and he was ready to shoot his first critter. He did everything right. He moved real slow like I told him to. He raised the rifle and adjusted it to him and brought the pig into view. He squeezed the trigger and MISSED! The next thing I hear is him exclaiming OOWWW! He had put the scope right on his eye and gave himself a black eye. He also had been listening to me talk about head shooting hogs and he wanted to do it like uncle Chris. He tried for a head shot and missed. I took a crack at one of the babies but he was running through the woods and the 22 mag never connected.

We met up with Todd and he passed on two hogs because he felt they were too big. They went around 160 to 180 and he did not feel like dealing with them. We settled in for some sleep but it was getting COLD. We did know it was going to get cold but not that damn cold. We awoke to 24 degree temperature and frost on all our gear and truck. For those of you that hunt in the snow and tundra of the frozen north (north of mid Georgia) I commend you. I just cannot stand anything below 70 degrees anymore. Myself and Wesley took the ground blind and Todd was REALLY wanting a deer so he went to the oaks. We took our sleeping bags to try to stay warm but it was still FREEZING LITERALLY. I look over at my nephew and he has ice on his hat. I mean really crappy cold. We settle in for a nice freeze and the feeder goes off. I wanted to check the swamp feeder so I snuck out of the ground blind and started down the road. When I got near the trail to my swamp feeder a 185ish pound boar walks out in the road in front of me. I did not want him but then another one that could have been his twin walks out. Then a little hog walks between them. It goes around 65ish pounds and it would fit real good in a dish so I line up the 22 mag and plant one in between his eye and ear. I would have preferred a sow but I could not tell since it was quartering towards me. He hit the dirst and it looked like the Chicago slaughter yards for a moment as pigs streamed by me from 200 pound sows to itty bitty shoats. There were over 50 in the herd and it was pretty cool to watch. I walked to the truck because they were heading to my nephews stand and I wanted him to get a chance at them. I was bored so I took a walk.

I walked around the roads scaring up several deer and a retarded 6 point buck that just stood there staring at me. It was a BIG tempt to head shoot him especially when I put the crosshairs on the base of his skull but instead I said “bang”. He almost turned himself inside out and hauled butt through the pine trees. Sometimes I hate being ethical. I met Todd by the truck at about 9:20 and told him he should walk the roads because the deer are moving. He went the direction I pointed him.

I went down to the ground blind and got the kid and we went to go do the dirty work. I strung my hog and we drove to a good spot to clean him where we met Todd who said “I just shot a deer”. Whoopee we are going to have some Bambi for the roaster also. We found where the deer went but in the excitement Todd blacked out and could not tell me a thing about how the deer reacted. We found blod and a few pieces of bone so I thought he was a dead deer. We cleaned the hog and began tracking. I will spare you all the details but we followed that deer for over four hours. The trail became less and less until we were following blood drops nu bigger than the period at the end of this sentence. Todd was feeling very low but I think the deer was hit in the brisckit and will probably live. He was going strong. We finished the night with my nephew taking the oaks and Todd walking. I passed on a really big boar and watched him eat all the corn. We met back up at the truck and they saw nothing. So here is the question.

Why hunt the WMA’s. I hunted them very hard and would connect maybe twice a year. I guess I am getting spoiled because we took a pass on three game critters and I wonder if the area makes it a bit to easy. Oh well I guess I have to live with that.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Spike

Default RE: Just to much to shoot! Oh the agony.

why hunt WMA's? Maybe because most guys don't have private land to hunt on. I'm in that boat. It's my first year hunting and so far haven't even SEEN a deer or hog on a WMA. If you're inviting, I'll come hunt on your private property and then maybe I'll too be asking "Why hunt the WMA's?" What do you say?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Just to much to shoot! Oh the agony.

I say this.

Call me and lets go.

727 460 0623

Chris