Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 To shoot or not to shoot >

To shoot or not to shoot

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

To shoot or not to shoot

Old 11-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Spike

Default RE: To shoot or not to shoot

I know dozens of dog hunters and not a one would be mad at that. Just about all dog hunters are good hunters and wouldnt give it a second thought and for the few that might..... well then you know where they can go......
Old 11-19-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jayman035

man its your land, if they have a problem with you hunting on your private land (I'm sure they wont) and they complain about you hunting in front of there dogs, than offer them a lease on the condition you get to hunt it and a life time membership to their club LOL.

you might want to go and introduce yourself and chat to them about your concerns. you never know, you might make some good friends and expand your hunting opportunity to larger hunting grounds.

good luck.

That's a pretty good idea there!

Back to the original question, as the others have said, I too would shoot but be selective when it comes to bucks. However if I wanted a nice doe to feel the freezer I would not hesitate to shoot.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:23 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys...very good advice that I will take. I went out for a bit this morning, before I had to take my fiance to her dr. appt. Didnt see anything this morning. on my way back from my stand I found a FRESH scrape..the scrape had what appeared to be fresh droppings right on the edge of it..the droppings were still very soft..this scrape was not there yesterday..the licking branch was broken off but still hanging down and the wood inside was still wet looking, so appears it happened over night maybe..I did not touch anything , I used a stick to scoot away one of the droppings to see if it was soft...I'm pretty excited about this find..maybe overly excited lol

it is about 100 yards away from the stand..
Old 11-19-2008, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

I don't hunt with dogs but I would say it wouldn't hurt the deer too bad. They ma be a spookier but if they have thick cover or a good food source they will come back. I say plant the food plot and hunt it during bow and blackpowder season. When they start running dogs shoot the deer that run to you. To me your getting benefits from the hunt club without paying. If they keep running deer to you and complain about then maybe they will quit running dogs on your property. Im not knocking dog hunting, Im actually gonna go this year to try it out, but they can't complain when a hunter is actually HUNTING and kills deer on his own property becuase their dogs are chasing it.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a dog hunter and we have pieces of land that is kinda the same as your situation. It is your land and you can kill what you want. We can not stop teh dogs from crossing the land when our land is all around this piece of land. If we do not stop the deer before it gets to this guys land and he kills the deer that is just the way it goes.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:45 PM

great thanks guys...

I will be selective at what runs by when their dogs are pushing it..I just dont want to ruffle any feathers with any of them..., and hopefully get to know some of them and expand my hunting oppourtunities.

Thank you guys for the advice
Old 11-19-2008, 08:24 PM

Shoot the dogs and let the deer go, pretty soon you won't have to worry about the dogs running on your property.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Scott,I belong to two different leases in Culpepper Co. One we only still hunt on and the other we run dogs on mostly. The second lease is over 3,000 acres so we can run dogs without upsetting our neighbors. We run it hard every year and there are always plenty of deer there. In your situation I would not hesitate to shoot any deer you want that is being run by their dogs. You have stated that you have taken care of their dogs in the past. After doing that they should not have any problem with your taking a few deer out in front of their dogs. If they have a problem with that then it shows they are a pretty sorry group of hunters.
One way to get around the issues that you have described is to take up bow and/or blackpowder hunting. You canstart on that food plot and by the time it is really looking good you should be pretty proficient and ready to hunt from a stand. That wayyou get the best of both worlds.
Ilove to standhunt during archery and blackpowder, but after amonth and a half sitting in a stand, I am ready to go over to the other club and run the dogs and get in on some hot action. I love it all......
Old 11-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: kendradad

Shoot the dogs and let the deer go, pretty soon you won't have to worry about the dogs running on your property.

ya deff. dont wanna take this bozo's advice. Its immoral, and the dog hunter's I know would make ya pay dearly for it. It's hunters like that that give hunters a bad name! they should not be allowed to carry a gun!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: mackesr

Hey Scott,I belong to two different leases in Culpepper Co. One we only still hunt on and the other we run dogs on mostly. The second lease is over 3,000 acres so we can run dogs without upsetting our neighbors. We run it hard every year and there are always plenty of deer there. In your situation I would not hesitate to shoot any deer you want that is being run by their dogs. You have stated that you have taken care of their dogs in the past. After doing that they should not have any problem with your taking a few deer out in front of their dogs. If they have a problem with that then it shows they are a pretty sorry group of hunters.
One way to get around the issues that you have described is to take up bow and/or blackpowder hunting. You canstart on that food plot and by the time it is really looking good you should be pretty proficient and ready to hunt from a stand. That wayyou get the best of both worlds.
Ilove to standhunt during archery and blackpowder, but after amonth and a half sitting in a stand, I am ready to go over to the other club and run the dogs and get in on some hot action. I love it all......
Hi Mackesr,

Great advice thanks..ya know I've always wanted to learn to shoot a bow!!! as a kid I remember watching my dad bowhunt, and heard all his stories..he passed when I was too young to hunt though, so he never got a chance to teach me any of this...but Learning to be proficient with a bow is on my to do list. I was looking at crossbows and had no idea they were sooooo expensive..sure there were some for a few hundred, but I saw one for 900$! ...that thing better come with a deer! haha

I have no idea what I'm looking at it when it comes to bows though..

But yes I definaltey want to learn to shoot a bow..
I am also getting a blackpowder rifle here ver soon. I have been looking at those as well...by next year I will have a BP rifle, and maybe a bow...but a BP rifile definaltey..

thanks for the advice man

Quick Reply: To shoot or not to shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.