Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 13 years old and his first deer! >

13 years old and his first deer!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

13 years old and his first deer!

Old 10-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default 13 years old and his first deer!

Seriously folks lets give him a big hand because he is the proud new daddy of and adopted son. Nothing and I mean nothing changes your life till you get to hold your very own kid. Takes a special person to adopt and you sir get to go hunting soon on my lease.
Ok on with the hunting. david(woodsnwater) had something better to do so I invited John and his 13 year old son David out to go. We got to the lease and man it was just a beutiful day. Overcast, slow drizzle, and cold. Now to some that would seem like pretty crappy weather but it really gets the animals to move in Florida. My road is now dead and brown so I put them in the oaks stand. I took the swamp stand and it looks unreal.
The swamp stand has been rooted up and around it so bad that you could not do more damage with a rototiller. The tracks running in circles look like a horse track and the trails going in are now almost 4 feet wide. To say this thing is getting used is a HUGE understatement. I settle in for a nice time and it takes all of about 3 minutes before my first customer. He went around 200+ pounds so i let him walk. I just can not bring myself to eat a boar that size so I took a pass. I heard more pigs for the remainder of my sit but failed to see one. I slipped out of the stand at dark and went to the truck.
I am standing there and here comes John and the kid. They get close and the kid tells me to get my tracking flashlight cuz he done shots him a deer. He did everything right this time. He made the shot, sat down, waited 45 minutes, then came and got me to help them find it. He told me that when he hit it that it almost did a somersault and kicked its back legs over its head. I am thinking that he made a great shot and his dad confirmed that it looked good. We only had to track the little buck for 60 yards. Double lung and sliced the top of the heart. Great shot. Ckeaned him and went to bed.
Next day we got into the stand and I wanted to stroll around my place looking for pork. YEP...my giant herd was 3/4 of a mile down the road. There is around 20 female sows with all the corresponding babies. I bet there are over 100 animals in the group. I stalked them to arouynd 65 yards and they got bored and went into the woods never to be seen again. Such is life.
On a funny note has anyone had the pleasure of riding home for 3 hours with a thirteen year old that has shot his first deer. SHEESH that poor deer died 6 thousand times.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 13 years old and his first deer!

LOL...thats awesome. I remember my first kill, I think my dad was more excited than I was!
Old 11-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 13 years old and his first deer!

gratz on a fun hunt. and gratz on his 1st deer, he will remember that for the rest of his life