How deer move? >

How deer move?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

How deer move?

Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default How deer move?

my question is the area I will be hunting Friday has real bad ravines. there are ways in but moving around is for a mountain goat. will the deer take the easier way in to the bottom or will they take the ridge line to the bottom there are no real trails just at the bottomthere is alittle creek you see sign of them crossing and going up the hills.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How deer move?

How steep is the ridge going down to the ravine? Is it just gradual downslope? If they're real steep i would setup on the ridge, if there is a flat ontop of that ridge, that would be your best bet. Especially if there are lots of whiteoaks in that flat.

I am hunting something similar, probably not as steep as you describe, but I am staying on the flat, its basically a small saddle between two ravines.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are lazy animals, they'll take the easiest route possible given that they feel safe and unpressured on that course.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

this place is real bad I wish I could show you guys a topo map of it. I can hunt 12 acers of the area but that would be a death wish. some of the ravines are just to steep to walk down and there is so much (mountain loyor tree?)you cant get though it. now all of this all works its way down to the little creek maybe 2 feet wide but it is moving water small spring. there are some slow slopes that go down to the bottom that is where I saw a buck walk into the woods 10am for what ever reason but he did try a come back out 5pm but spooked for what I dont know he was behind me. I am hoping for some action in the morning.

I was going to try 6B on Quantico but it is closed so I got 5C and plan on going there in the afternoon.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Fork Horn

6B has some huge ravines, I know what area you're talking about if its in 6B, 5C has some pretty nice funnels also.I was looking at hunting that area also, if you head down hot patchroad,it opens to a field. to the left of that road was where i was looking.Theres a huge ravine and some nice saddlesin there to hunt. if you look at this topo map of 6B, you see the road going to Camp upshur, and to the right of that road is a nice funnel, right in that area is pretty thick, you can see the dotted lines kind of going close to that area, its a loggin road. Def looks like an area i would try. http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=362&Y=5 334&W=2&qs=onville+rd%7cstafford%7cvirgini a%7c&Addr=Onville+Rd%2c+Stafford%2c+VA+22556&a mp;ALon=-77.4255423&ALat=38.4756645

Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn