Big NOVA Buck Down!! >

Big NOVA Buck Down!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Big NOVA Buck Down!!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Big NOVA Buck Down!!

Well, where I hunt in NOVA I've been seeing deer everytime I go out. Mostly small bucks and does. As many of you know,I shot a doe on the opener of urban archery. I've been passing up on everything banking on seeing a big one. Well tonight was no different only with one slight exception. The usual does came through and I held tight. A few smaller bucks came through and I practiced restraint. Then about a half an hour before last light I notice a big bodied deercoming down the same draw the rest of the deer had passed.I figured it to be another mature doe.This one however was not on the trail as the rest of them had traveled. He was about 15 yards downwind off the trail. I was set up about thirty yards down wind. I had the perfect set up to say the least.I couldn't tell just how big he was until he was right on top of me. When I came to after being awe stricken he stepped behind some sapplings with his nose to the ground and I drew. He stepped from behind the sappling and I let him have it at about 15 yds. When the arrow hit himit sounded like a half full balloon being popped I knew I had double lunged him. He ran back the way he came with his hind legs dancing all over the place. I knew I had drilled him perfectly. I hear him crash and immediately come down from my stand knowing he was fatally wounded. I checked the arrow which was covered in blood anda complete pass through.Justto give him time to expire though Itake my bow and pack back to the truck and make a few phone calls to friends. I go back to where I hit him and the Slick Trick trail was easy to follow. Heended up piling up less than 50 yards from my stand. I let out a big ol yell and began the drag by myself backto the road which was arduously up hill andthen down and then back up again.I'm exhausted now. Sorry about blacking out the face I'm not comfortable with putting my pic on the internet these days. Dakine, I guess you were right about me posting a picture with a bucket head from NOVA this year. Maybe you can will me some more luck in Fluvanna????
Old 10-10-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Big NOVA Buck Down!!

nice!
Old 10-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

its hard to tellfrom that pic but what is the outside spread? weight?
congradulations on your deer
Old 10-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

is that road rash on the left antler?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: o2bebowhunting

its hard to tellfrom that pic but what is the outside spread? weight?
congradulations on your deer
18 inches outside. I guessed him at around 180 pounds.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: o2bebowhunting

is that road rash on the left antler?
No, I had started to skin him in my buddy's boiler room and he brings down the camera since I had left mine at the house.He was so long thathis head and antlers were touching the concrete while I was spinning him around to get him in the light to skin him. The gambrel didn't go high enough to get him fully off the ground.Pretty dirty in that room to say the least.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

Here's another better view. You can barely see the entrance wound of the arrow on the right side of this pic.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Nice buck...Congrats !
Old 10-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Spike

very nice buck. hopefully one of those comes by my stand this fall
Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Great buck dude! I hope to have some luck here soon. I've been covered up in deer, even, at close range, however, man are the woods thick this time of year! Are you going to make it down this way during archery season?

Quick Reply: Big NOVA Buck Down!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.