Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Aging Venison in Warm Weather >

Aging Venison in Warm Weather

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Aging Venison in Warm Weather

Old 10-04-2008, 01:40 PM

Default Aging Venison in Warm Weather

Great article on Aging Venison in Warm Weather.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Aging Venison in Warm Weather

Excellent article thanks for sharing and welcome to the South forum of Hunting ,Net
Chuck7
Old 10-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

NOw I know why so many Floridians sausage their deer up. I've heard you are not supposed to rinse them out with water..I hate it when folks try to help and want to rinse my deer out with water..a real no no as water is what bacteria breeds in..

For you who never read the article...
In Summary..The cold states can hang their deer for so many days to get the best taste from their roast and ...For us FLoridians who can't hang them becauseourtemperatures don't allow it..Sausage is the best bet since sausage is made best from fresh meat..so for now on it will be back strap steaks, 2 sirloin tip roast and the rest breakfast sausage..

Old 10-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Just a thought way not quarter it out and put in a refrigerator.I have got 3 does one day from friends that didnt want them and did this works great you just need a old fridge and a wife that like the meat has will. then about two night after work of getting the meat off the bone.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post! I try to let the meat age for at least a week, it all depends on the weather, I have killed two deer so far this year in MD and I had to sking and quarter them out and I placed them in clear plastic un-scented garbage bags and then placed them in the cooler with about 40 pounds of ice on them and let them cool down for 2 days and I cut them up. But when the weather drops down to the mid 30-40s i will let them hang in the garage for as long as it stays cold.
Old 10-08-2008, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

i quarter mine up, rinse the meat off with a water hose to get the excess hair and dirt off the meat. then i place the shoulders, hams, backstrap, etc. in an ice chest with approximately 45 pounds of ice for a day or two. i keep the drain plug out of the ice chest so the bloody water drains out as the ice slowly melts. i have been doing this for over 15 years and never had bad tasting meat. i get 50% of the meat (shoulders, neckand hams) ground up for burger and the other 50% of the meat (shoulders, neckand hams) cubed. the back strap and tenderloins get butterflied into steaks.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Spike

Hi I'm new to the site. I age my deer in a 25-cubit ft. freezer. You can use a new or old freezer. You will have to get a freezer external temperature regulator. I set mine on 34 deg., It will go between 32 and 36 deg. Check this site. Crossfire & KegMan Products.
www.kegman.net/9025.html
www.kegman.net