Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

florida black bears

Old 09-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: florida black bears

ORIGINAL: CAM2

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

it will probally be like the gator permits...special draws. they will also probally limit to which area's you can hunt them (which will be the area's that aren't over run with them).
yeah, i assume that's how it would be. i'm highly interested in it though. my family and i were camping in ocala at the big scrub campground with family friends last october riding our atv's and our group saw 3 bears in one day. i saw a big one crossing the road in the late evening that got my blood pumping. about 12 years ago three of us went up there for a camping and fishing trip and we saw the after math of a bear and car collision. my wifes high school friend lives near lake george and they have pictures of bears digging in their trash. i know they are there and i would love to help manage the population in ONF.

I have had 2 encounters with Black Bears in my life and that was one to many!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

i spoke with FWC Monday, it was confirmed. they are considering the bear season but do not have any particulars on it right now. they said it is just on the "table".
Old 09-28-2008, 02:12 AM
Fork Horn

I doubt you are going to see anytype of bear hunting in florida in the next couple of years. Bears are a big problem here in the panhandle and I went to a meeting last year that had 2 GFC officers discussing bears. Everyone there were people who were on leases from St. Joe Paper Co. and were begging them to oen a season. They said it would probably be 4 to 5 years before a bear season came in if then.
On side note there was a GFC officer close to here a couple of months ago that saved a bear from drowning after it had been darted to be moved and before the drugs to affect it ran into the gulf. Guy got all kinds of write ups in the papers for saving the bear. Shoud have let it drown. They are like hogs, ig they can get to it they will tear it up.