Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 New to Cntral FL. from WIS. NEED outdoor activites!!! >

New to Cntral FL. from WIS. NEED outdoor activites!!!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to Cntral FL. from WIS. NEED outdoor activites!!!

Old 06-28-2008, 01:56 PM

Default New to Cntral FL. from WIS. NEED outdoor activites!!!

HEllo everyone. Im new to this forum and I recently moved to Orlando for School. I am originally from a dairy/beef farmin Northeast Wisconsin. I have my bow down here as well as some other hunting gear. I NEED to get out of the city and do something outdoors. Does anyone have some ideas? Everything in the city requires money; I'm used to just walking out in the woods or taking a ride on the ATV. I have been in archery leagues, trap leagues and everything in between. I hear Ocala has some great places to mountain bike....and of course I didnt bring my moutain bike down with me. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for you time,
Ben
Old 06-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New to Cntral FL. from WIS. NEED outdoor activites!!!

Welcome Ben,
I'm 30 miles from Orlando but there are folks on here close to you who can help ya out..they have more experience than I do anyway..I'm still in the Floridian learning stage..You will find Florida hunting is nothing like northern hunting..it's much harder. There is hardly any private property to hunt and the WMAs are highly pressured.Honestly , my stands are nearly 2 miles deep in the swamp..You have to get away from people.

If you don't already have these items you will need to buy them..

Thermocell..for our mosquitoes
Snake Boots..for our snakes

a
Old 06-28-2008, 02:36 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Chuck7

"You have to get away from people"

Thats the hard part
Old 06-28-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may also want to bring some sweat towels wherever you go...for whatever you do. The heat and humidity can be brutal. There are some 3-D or target archery clubs around as well as shooting ranges (indoor and outdoor). There is ATV riding around (towards Tampa and Ocala especially) as well as lots of fishing. I have pretty much given up Florida hunting so you'll need to pester (ha ha) Rebel Hog (our elder Statesman), Chuck7 (King of the Green Swamp), Camocop (Lake County Wizard) or huntnma (our resident female expert) for specifics there. I believe Chuck and huntnma bagged Osceola turkeys this last spring and Camo bagged some fine deer. Anyway, welcome to FL and to these forums.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 PM

What specific 3D or target ranges are there around? I know of shoot straight in Apopka and I have heard of some out towards lakeland (chuck7?).
Old 06-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

Here ya go..

This is one of the best 3 D ranges in the state..It also has 13 of some of the state.'s best fishing.lakes .I can help you with the fishing ,,

http://www.tenoroc.us/

afew years ago Tenoroc was one of the top 10 hot spots for bass. I've been fishing it for years and can stir you in the right direction..

As for turkey hunting..
A, Walk deep ..at least a mile..
B, Find swampy water..
C, Give out some yelps..if you don't hear a gobble in 5 minutes ..move another 300 yds..continue till you hear a gobbler answer your yelps..I was answered 10 out of 11 hunts..
D...now getting them within 35 yds..that's a different story.your on your own there..You will need to purrr fect your skills here.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Welcome to Florida!

We all can advise you, but in order to learn how to castrate, you have to cut a lot of nuts......The main things Chuck mentioned and I will add the NO-Seeums...and of course, depending where you will hunt, the gators....

Find youself a FL homyhunting partner and learn hands on in the field......
Old 06-28-2008, 03:35 PM

Oh trust me, Ive cut my fare share of nuts on the farm. Ha Ha but yes Finding a FL hunting buddy would be the ideal situation.
As far as turkey hunting goes, those are similar things that I usually do back home in WI aside from walk deep in (you already are in the woods HAH) and the swampy water.
How far is Tonoroc from the Lakeland Raceway?
Thanks a bunch guys
Old 06-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Dominant Buck

How far is Tonoroc from the Lakeland Raceway?
Thanks a bunch guys

3 - 5 miles...you will drive about 3 miles south past the race track and 3 miles farther you will drive under the I -4 over pass...Keep going another mile..You will cometo a blinking orange light..Take a left..you are now on Combee Road..Tenoroc is 1 mile sraight down the road on the right.There is a sign..

I live 5 miles from Tenoroc..
Old 06-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

when you drive west on I-4 heading toward Lakeland..instead of taking aright on 33 to go to therace track..you will turn left heading toward Lakeland,You wil be on state road 33..The blinking light will be one mile..AZt the light take a left..Drive about 1 mile..you will see abrown sign with a boat ramp on it..Turn left..You are on Tenoroc Mine Road..the shooting range will be about 1 mile down that road..

Quick Reply: New to Cntral FL. from WIS. NEED outdoor activites!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.