Public Land in Texas >

Public Land in Texas

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Public Land in Texas

Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Public Land in Texas

I've heard a lot of people on HNI comment about the lack of public hunting land in Texas. However, i guess that everything really is bigger in Texas because it turns out that there is about 4.5 million acres of public land there. However, I do not know how much of it can be hunted and how it is distributed across the state. Can any Texans enlighten me on this subject.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Public Land in Texas

As txjorneyman stated earlier 5% of that 4.5 million acres can be hunted. Most of that is lakes used strictly for waterfowl. There is some public areas for deer hunting but they typically are highly pressured. The other spots you must be drawn for and the only draw a handful of tags.

Plus, why hunt public when you can hunt private?
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

What does that translate into, about 300,000 acres that can be hunted. That is damn low considering that Illinois has about 450,000 acres and it is not that big of a public hunting land state.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

some of that public land has some terrible habitat as well. Lake Tawokoni WMA for instance. about 5,000 acres, I think there are 2 deer there!
Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

some of that public land has some terrible habitat as well. Lake Tawokoni WMA for instance. about 5,000 acres, I think there are 2 deer there!
On a good day[8D]
Old 04-08-2008, 06:43 AM

Are you talking free hunting land or public hunting land in Texas? I hunt private land but I also have an Annual Public Hunting Permit (cost 48.00/year) which allows me access to 1,135,245 acres on 78 units in 66 counties in Texas. I will agree with you on one thing, if there is a deer on a Texas public hunting area, there will be a hunter behind every tree.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah Belushi that is true enough. There are 78 units. How many of them are Dove only? Small game only? The number that allows deer hunting is MUCH smaller.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

So, am i to understand that while the public land hunting for deer in Texas may be pretty bleak, it may be decent for other stuff?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 PM

I agree with you Journeyman, not all public land in Texas is for deer hunting, but it is for hunting. Another thing that has not been mentioned are the 4 National Forests in Texas, of which 3 are free to hunt and the Sam Houston NF is part of the Annual Public Hunting Permit land as it has been designated a Wildlife Managment Area and the State and Forest Service have had an intensive land managment program going for a couple of years now aimed at making the land better for the wildlife.

I guess my main point is there is more land available in Texas then you might think. You just have to get out there and scout to find a spot no one else is at.

Just a side note, The biggest deer my lease partner ever killed was from the Sam Houston NF.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

m
ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

So, am i to understand that while the public land hunting for deer in Texas may be pretty bleak, it may be decent for other stuff?
Yes Lanse, there are some great small game opportunities on public land. Also, dove and quail. So if a guy wants to hunt in Tx the opportunity is there.
Belushi Big Sam isn't too awful far from me. I may have to look into that. Also I did some scouting in Angelina NF south east of Lufkin. I was looking for eastern turkeys and saw several does and one nice buck. I may have to go take another look in October . And you are right about one thing. Ya gots to find the spot no one else has found!

Quick Reply: Public Land in Texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.