Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sheds in Va.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sheds in Va.

Just wondering if any Virginians have done any shed hunting yet.. or if your bucks have dropped them yet. I got a picture of a huge deer on January 7 on my trail cam with scabs on his head.. been lookin for his sheds for some time now with no avail. Here in western. va we have had snow on the ground for about a week and a half and single digit temps., so I wanna say that extra stress has cause them to drop.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:38 PM

Default RE: Sheds in Va.

I looked for some today around my food plots and fence crossings, but as usual came up empty handed.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Spike

Just wanted to share some tried and true spots that produce year in and out for me.I love trails that connect bedding areas and food sources.Any kind of and edge like pipe lines power lines field edges all are great spots.During years with good mast crops I love oak flats,I did real well on oak flats last spring.I've never found many at fence crossings I have found a few but not enough for me to key on them.These are places to start you will have to develope your own pattern for your specific area.
I think one of the biggest mistakes people make when shed hunting is walking to fast.Slowdown and youryield will increase its real easy to step right over a shed (just ask rem700man).AlsoI carry my bino's there great for picking the cover apart.I hope this helps if anyone has anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Spike

My girlfriend and future wife went shed hunting last week here in Va. Yes, I am a lucky man. Anyway I found a left shed of an eight point, only it was one from last year. Tips broken off and you could see the critter's naw marks on the antler. Went out today and saw now sheds, however i did see two bucks with only one side left. How come they don't stand there at 20 yards and chew their cud when your NOT shed hunting? LOL. Now that I know they are dropping I will be out as much as possible until it's time for some smallie fishing.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Fork Horn

I'm still seeing bucks with both sides still on out on the Manassas battlefield park.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Spike

Vulture I look in the Manassas area every year and I usually fair pretty well.I search the area on the edges of the park.Its not legal to remove any type of artifact from the battlefield including sheds.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also for me I am seeing most of the bucks with both side still on at the Yorktown battlefields.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 AM
Typical Buck

shedman:
I was comin home last night from work on rt.55 headin into marshall and there ws a spike buck layin on the side of the road,,,horns still in tact.??? when ya comin down,,,so we can go find some?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Spike

Dude time is tight this year gonna have to make every trip count .I've talked to afew shed hunters in your general area who tell me they are finding a few,but are seeing far more still holding.I'm gonna shoot for the beginning of march and run and gun to 3 or 4 of my best areas there.Get ya some fresh boot leather cause we gonna wear it thin.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Typical Buck

fresh boot leather,,,on it!!!! we'll have yer bed ready

Quick Reply: Sheds in Va.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.