Florida Wildlife..

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Florida Wildlife..

Old 11-12-2007, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Florida Wildlife..

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

.heard some heavy breaking of brush once..that was it.
I am thinking if you heard brush breaking it was another hunter.

I hope you get rid of your worms. That doesn't sound like fun. )-:

I have some 8x42 binocolors. Not high end, but they seem to work ok. If I find I get into birding or using my binocolors alot I will get some nicer ones. Do you have a bird ID book that you recommend?

Good luck next week.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I hope you get rid of your worms. That doesn't sound like fun. )-: 18 pills at 112.00 did the job.

I have some 10x42 binocolors.Those are good..when you are looking at warblers and comparing/ contrastingat 40 feet they help. The 10 x 42 narrows your field of view but the image ismagnified more...When i buy birding optics I look to see ifI can make out something at 12 foot.If I can'tI don't buy them. Not high end, but they seem to work ok. If I find I get into birding or using my binocolors alot I will get some nicer ones. Do you have a bird ID book that you recommend? For a first book..I love the Peterson's Guide To Eastern/ Central Birds. All book stores got it. About 20.00 nice size for carrying.

The pro birders carry the Sibley's Guide to Birding. 35.00 I have one.Teh advantage. Some birds change the color of their plumage throughout the 4 seasons.Sibley's has the bird in all 4 seasons..The water colored pictures are not as good as Peterson's ...Also..Sibleys has every bird in the USA.

Example..a goldfinch is not black and yellow like a Peterson shows it right now. They only come to Florida for a couple of weeks in Dec...He is now a light buffish brown colored..So an inexperienced birder would not know he was looking at a gold finch..Many of our warblers are like that as well. A bald eagle doesn't get a white head until his third year..Sibleys show the bird in all of his different plumages.

Good luck next week.
Thanks man..I fish the weekends and hunt the week when there are less hunters..Specks are biting.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Chuck,

Wow, that is some good info on birds. I did not know that birds could have four different plumages depending on the season. I will start with the Peterson's Guide book. I will put it on my Christmas list.

I need to figure out a way to keep the racoons out of my bird feeders and fill them back up. I enjoy watching the birds, but feeding racoons got expensive so I stoped filling up the feeders. They just climbed right of my metal pole to the feeder. I think I can make some sort of baffle at the bottom of thepoleto stop them. I just need to get the materials.

Catch a mess of Specks.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 11-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Chris,
I use a tube feeder..much less expensive to feed. The warblers won't come to a feeder..You need to cut an orange in halfand run a nail through a board..This will attract in central Florida..

Yellow Rumped Warblers.
Northern Orioles,
Palm Warblers.
Mockingbirds

Old 11-23-2007, 09:13 PM
Spike

The elusive Skunkape , native to south florida .

Old 11-24-2007, 05:47 PM

nice post man i like it, did you take those pics or did you find em?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I found them...I have 2 Video tapes though full of coverage but can't tranfer them...I spent 3 years walkng with Audubon learning all I could.Once I started hunting..they..didn't want me around.