Hunters and Anglers..We need your help

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunters and Anglers..We need your help

Old 01-17-2003, 09:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hunters and Anglers..We need your help

This is a copy of an email I recieved.

I received a call this morning from ******** , VDGIF, regarding HB-2154 introduced by Delegate Hamilton from Newport News. This Bill proposes to combine the VDGIF and the Marine Resources Department. This would mean a single Agency with a single budget and Board of Commissioners. It definitely would not bode well for those of us
who's interest are primarily hunting and FRESH water fisheries. Equally I don't believe it would serve the saltwater enthusiast well either. This has been proposed in the name of "cost-cutting" but I believe the funding/budget cuts have already been deep enough and damaging enough without further "cost-cutting" or budget sharing
measures. The VDGIF has asked the VBA to call in opposition to HB-2154 and I am asking you to make those calls along with encouraging your membership to make calls as well. The number to call is 1-800-889-0229. The Bill is currently in the General Laws Committee and needs to be stopped there within Committee.

I didn't want to get anyone in trouble so I put *** in place of there names.
Please make those calls today.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:53 AM

Default RE: Hunters and Anglers..We need your help

http://www.roanoke.com/roatimes/news/story143168.html

The above article is a GREAT read to see why this is such a bad thing. Here are the highlights....

The bill would require the new agency - called the Game and Marine Resources Commission - to be funded solely by license revenues and federal funds associated with license sales.
Here's the problem: Although license revenue and associated federal funds are the primary funding sources for the game department, the Marine Resources Commission relies heavily on taxpayer money from Virginia's general fund. Without that money, the new agency could face a reduction in funding of more than $20 million. The game department's entire budget is not much more than twice that.

According to a game department analysis of the bill, such a budget deficit would require the elimination of 250 fish and wildlife positions statewide.

Properties owned by the game department may be at risk because federal funds used to buy the properties might have to be reimbursed. The bill also could complicate regulations procedures, particularly for migratory birds and waterfowl.

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."

Theodore Roosevelt

http://tscott.fws1.com

ONE NATION UNDER GOD!
Old 02-05-2003, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunters and Anglers..We need your help

Update: the bill was tabled last week. Thanks for all your help.