Powhatan WMA, Va >

Powhatan WMA, Va

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Powhatan WMA, Va

Old 10-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Spike

Default Powhatan WMA, Va

Just moved to Powhatan and want to get back into hunting, but only have 8 acres. Anybody ever had much luck on Powhatan Wildlife Management Area?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Powhatan WMA, Va

OMG.... Where do I start...

First off: Are you talking deer hunting at Powhatan? Rabbit hunting? Waterfowl? The public WMA's get slammed hard during deer season especially on Saturdays. I mean, I don't want to act all funny and stuff, but on a Saturday - a crowded WMA during firearms season can be almost dangerous!

Trust me, okay? Trust me... I have been to Powhatan, Amelia, etc...etc... and got there real early before sunrise up on a ridge. When the sun came up, there was so much blaze orange, it looked like a &#*$%^ pumpkin patch! [:@] Been there, done that, never again... [:'(]

If you bowhunt Powhatan, Amelia, CF Phelps, during the week, you'll have better luck. But do your homework and scout hard and try to out-maneuver the other hunters - as they might push a nice buck to you!

Even though I'm in Richmond, I flatly refuse to hunt the local WMA's. Like I said earlier... been there, done that, never again. [:'(] I head west to the George Washington Nat'l Forest, where it's more spread out and more peaceful.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Spike

Thanks Butch...I was trying to get some good info on the National Forest..Have been up to Hidden Valley, near Warm Springs years ago. Can you recommend another location closer to Richmond?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hmmmm... The state forests are another option. I have hunted Cumberland State Forest many times and have seen some nice deer (missed a beautiful 8 pointer once too[&o]). You can also hunt in Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield Co. but I have never done it - too many distractions from hikers, tree-huggers, mountain bikers, etc... to try to have a successful hunt there.

I'd check out Cumberland State Forest if you don't want to hunt on a WMA. Or, maybe drive a little further to Buckingham/Appomattox State Forest.

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/stforest/hunting.shtml

Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM

i have never deer hunted the powhatan wma but i do drive by it on the way to our place in cumberland and it does look pretty busy on weekends.

i have turkey hunted it in the spring tho, and i can say it does hold some nice birds and they are actually fairly vocal. getting them into shooting range is a diferent story, they seem to be pretty smart. we went on on 2 weekdays this past spring before work and heard birds both days without seeing or hearing any other hunters.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

Good Luck