Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA >

The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Old 09-24-2007, 07:41 PM

Default RE: The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Vulture, I agree with you. Alot of dog hunters are great hunters and great sportsman,..., but it seems that VDGIF has left these guys to police their own ranks for a long time, and now it's killing us all. The many bad hunters who use hounds to chase deer are killing the sport for the few who are decent great hunters. It's gonna come down to the game dept. doing their job.

I think we need a minimum acres deal as well. Start the dogs in the center of 1,000 acres and surround the area with hunters. We'vegot to get the dogs/hunters out of the main roadways -n- posted property, and back in the woods where they belong. When you have to run a gauntlet of hunters to go to the grocery store the situation is out of hand. I'm tired of seeing 15-25 hunters in blaze orange standingin the main roads all overEssex county. Is these any reason for a hunter safety course if we are going to teach our kids to use a highway as a shooting lane? It's only a matter of time before an innocent person is killed and a 10 page story hits Time magazine.

The game dept. has got to recognize that the preservation of hunting depends on the preservation of good hunting ethics and safe and rational behavior. I'm so tired of having dogs dumped on my farm without my permission I could scream. They never ask, they simply do as they please. These jackass hunters stand on the state highway that runs alongside my farm and bang away at the deer,(an act that is totally illegal, yet very difficult to prove. They use walkie-talkies to warn each other when the game warden is in the area.) These clubs use sophisticated methods to locate and track game wardens as well as the deer. I've started taking pictures of them and sending the pics to my legislators. They can't believe the pics, and have finally started to push the game wardens to do something. I hate to be a dick, but what else can I do? OOOHHHH well. Thanks for hearing me whine, I guess we all need to lookout for each other and do whatever is necessary to stop the idiots before they kill all hunting for everyone.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:02 PM

I grew up hunting in the mountains and we would've shot a dog running deer, however after moving to central VA I took a buddy up on an offer to dog hunt. I love it, black powder is still my favorite but dog hunting is fun and I enjoy all aspects of it.

If your going to still hunt in a dog hunting area, you are going to hear and see dogs. Just how its going to be. I don't know what the answer is for the guy who buys 15 acres in the middle of dog country and then is shocked that the dogs run over his land. This is said without sarcasm or malice.

Anyone who has actually hunted with dogs would not say it is easy to take a trophy buck in front of dogs. Sure they'll run a deer but you've got to see the deer, the deer not see you and then hope the deer gives you a shot. Running dogs is by no means a guarantee of killing or even seeing the deer.

You can sucessfully still hunt in an area run over with dogs. Deer are creatures of habit and are not going to run into the next county (although it can happen if you are on the border!). We've watched the same bucks, in the same fields, at the end of the season and these deer had been run a few times. I have personally had dogs come through in black powder season and killed the deer I was hunting an hour later.

Idiots are idiots and there will always be stupid hunters, I'd dare say I can fill up the rest of this post talking about the idiot still hunters we find on our land in sight of a posted sign or parked in the back of a posted field out of sight with a drive getting ready to start (i.e. shooting in their direction), etc.

Banning dog hunting isn't going to happen, it's in the blood down here and it's much more than hunting.

Spence
Old 09-25-2007, 07:48 PM

i have dog hunted for 16 years an i assure it is easier. maybe not easy, but easIER

example:
take a group of 5 hunters and let them hunt a 200 acre piece of timber. drop them off in the dark and have them walk in and set up their stands, without any time to scout the property. this is not during the rut this is the last day of the season. the chances are HIGHLY unlikely they will bag a trophy animal that day.

now take 5 guys to the same land with dogs. same circumstances.take 4 and let them line along the back edge of the property and let one guy drive dogs through. i promise you if that buck happens to chose that exit route any moron with buckshot has a shot at taking him.

i dog hunt and still hunt, so im not trying to argue. just saying i feel there is far more of a challenge and a real "hunt" if its me and the deer 1 on 1... i like to think of deer hunting like a chess game.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Reswire: You seem to think that anytime you see hunters on the roadways that they are hunting. Let me preface this with the fact that I have dog hunted for a while but couldn't care one way or the other if they got rid of it cause I am mainly a archery / duck hunter now.
Well I do some dog hunting in Northumberland,Richmond, and Westmoreland counties and I can assure you that 99% of the time if a hunter and or his truck are along the side of the road they are there to turn the deer and his dogs back into the woods or make sure they cross the road safely without doing damage to your or anyone else's vehicle. I don't know anyone who has their gun out while parked on a main road. that would be silly. They may be parked there but that is usually for the safety of their dogs and the safety of the people in the cars.
I am not saying that it dosn't happen but I never see it... Maybe they hunt different cross the rivah in Essex... hahaha jk
Old 09-26-2007, 10:09 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

I don't know anyone who has their gun out while parked on a main road. that would be silly.
Not only would it be stupid it is illegal. If it is loaded and I see you on the road your in for a long day after I call the law on you. If there's one thing I can't stand........ it's road hunters.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: vaspence

Banning dog hunting isn't going to happen, it's in the blood down here and it's much more than hunting.

Spence

Trust me dude,it will go away. It just may be a decade or so.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
Fork Horn

VA : it seems to me that you should have quoted my whole message if thats the point you were going to make. It goes without saying that you cant have a loaded firearm on the roadside. (Actually if you are on the other side of the ditch you can have it loaded and I amnot sure about the state but in Northumberland county you can't discharge it within 100yds of the road)
Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Based on what i've seen, many of those lazy still hunters have even worse reading skills than deer dogs. And some of them have been known to drink a few or light up a joint when things get boring in the stand that will allow them a 20 yard shot at a deer standing still. So, once they get rid of dog hunting, they can just as well get started on still hunting, since plenty of them trespass or engage in other unsavory activities. [:@]
Old 09-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slo-Pitch

VA : it seems to me that you should have quoted my whole message if thats the point you were going to make. It goes without saying that you cant have a loaded firearm on the roadside. (Actually if you are on the other side of the ditch you can have it loaded and I amnot sure about the state but in Northumberland county you can't discharge it within 100yds of the road)
You're right man....apologies. It is astate-wide law that you can't discharge a firearm 100yds from the road.I'm notpositive about the loading of a firearm on the other side of a ditch, as some roadsides have no ditches.I know I wouldn't want to be caught on the side of the roadby the law with a loaded shotgun/rifle while hunting (or getting ready to hunt)though.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Based on what i've seen, many of those lazy still hunters have even worse reading skills than deer dogs. And some of them have been known to drink a few or light up a joint when things get boring in the stand that will allow them a 20 yard shot at a deer standing still. So, once they get rid of dog hunting, they can just as well get started on still hunting, since plenty of them trespass or engage in other unsavory activities. [:@]

Some, but not all brother.

Quick Reply: The End of Deer and Dog Hunting in VA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.