Hunting in Quantico VA >

Hunting in Quantico VA

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Hunting in Quantico VA

Old 08-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting in Quantico VA

I just got back from 2 weeks at Marine Corps Base Quantico, saw tons of deer, and some nice bucks. I think you are allowed to hunt on certain parts of base. Anyone ever hunt there and know what you have to do to be allowed to hunt on base?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting in Quantico VA

One way to find out is to contact the base public affairs office, they should be able to tell you how to go about being able to hunt on the post. I know you can hunt on Fort Belvior also and they have a shoiting club on base.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to hunt there, you can hunt the vast majority of Quanticos 47,000 acres. If you're using a bow, you have to qualify shooting, but its easy, something like 3 arrows out of 4 in a pie plate size target at 30 yards. You'll also need to take a "special" Quantico safety course, that if I remember correctly, is 1 hr. long. One downside of hunting there, I take that back, 2 downsides, there are a lot of people, opening day & most saturdays you'll find youself sitting there w/ the sun coming up and the land looking like a pumpkin patch w/ all the hunters. All jokes aside, it's not that bad, they regulate how many hunt and where they hunt. The other downside is you have to check in/out all the time. If you decide to do it, shoot me an e-mail or PM and I'll point you in the direction of some really good deer/turkey spots, although it's been 4-5 years since I hunted there, my friends say the spots are still good.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

I used to hunt there, you can hunt the vast majority of Quanticos 47,000 acres. If you're using a bow, you have to qualify shooting, but its easy, something like 3 arrows out of 4 in a pie plate size target at 30 yards. You'll also need to take a "special" Quantico safety course, that if I remember correctly, is 1 hr. long. One downside of hunting there, I take that back, 2 downsides, there are a lot of people, opening day & most saturdays you'll find youself sitting there w/ the sun coming up and the land looking like a pumpkin patch w/ all the hunters. All jokes aside, it's not that bad, they regulate how many hunt and where they hunt. The other downside is you have to check in/out all the time. If you decide to do it, shoot me an e-mail or PM and I'll point you in the direction of some really good deer/turkey spots, although it's been 4-5 years since I hunted there, my friends say the spots are still good.
Thanks. I was getting my humvee license down there and saw tons of deer along the roads. There was an 8 point buck in velvet across from the east or west entrance of the FBI academy.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Yes you have to get a base lisence and sit there a hour video and they make you a base card that u use through fall and spring i hunt down there every single year and see tons of deer and u can hunt maine side its 20 yards and you have to stick it in the red vitals from a elevated postiton easy to pass and then u can hunt the west side of base which is very large and they have bow and gun areas most bow areas are next to houses or property's quantico has sum very large bucks and body size there alittle small but not to bad i killed in 2002 a 8 pointer out of 7a weighed 88lbs and was 3 1/2 and in 2005 i klled a 9 pointer out of 9B that weighed 115lbs so go towards the back of the base to find large bodied deer and big racks all over base ... give me sum tips on them deer spots cool
Old 08-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

QK - PM sent.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Well, well.. it appears Cool's been holding out on the honey spots. I too hunt quantico and had some success however I would love to know a few other spots as well. I had stop hunting the base for a while got tired of standing in them long lines for a brown tag, I'm looking forward to hunting the base this year as it's close to home saves on gas.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

They used to have a web page up on hunting there, but I can't find anything anymore. AP Hill has a pretty informative page, but thats just too far to travel.

ANy one want to send some Quantico secrets my way??