Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Oklahoma turkey hunters... >

Oklahoma turkey hunters...

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Oklahoma turkey hunters...

Old 04-18-2007, 06:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Oklahoma turkey hunters...

no owl call here, i hunt mainly the street before the rifle range on theeast side of the road.go down about 1 mile east then turn south at the stop sign.or the road at the rifle range turn east and go to one of the fields off the road.
drive a 94 camaro or 2001 durango.i had job interview to go to on the 17th and 18th and 1 on the 19th im missing not being out there.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Typical Buck

I didnt even realize that was part of Lexington over there. Have you had any luck on that side. I saw a nice tom with about a 6" beard. Of course he was in the field to the north of the property. I may make a road trip to some other public land in the next few weeks
Old 04-18-2007, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

Do you just park on the side of the street over on that side or are there pull offs to park in
Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

a couple of pull offs on the road across from the gun range but usually just pull to the side of the road,the road before the gun range its mainly pull to the side.
i'm thinking about going to hickory creek, hunt in the morning and sand bass fish if nothing is happening.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

I went out this morning east of the gun range. I didnt have any luck locating a bird. Im thinking about driving to another public spot as well. I think that Im wasting my time out at Lexington. How is it at Hickory Creek?
Old 04-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Fork Horn

my brother shot one on the 19th we were along the prison fence we had two come in to our decoys, i was to far away to shoot.
we went back today and heard one gobbing but it was far away, it took a long time to call it in but we had a hunter walk between us and the bird, never got to see or hear the bird again.
we couldn't understand why he moved between us like he did then leave after about 5 minutes.he had to hear me calling.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

We just got back from a Rio hunt in northwest Oklahoma. Had a GREAT time, and we saw more mature birds than you can shake a stick at......

Can`t wait for next year to go back.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had some good luck. About 10 days ago I was checking wells and came by my hunting property about 12:30. I usually circle in through the property just for a look. I got to an opening where I usually plant food plots and there is a large elm. A big tom was around that tree and I just kept driving through and went home and got the other pickup and my hunting stuff and went back. I sneaked in from the east side from around a big hill and spotted the tom again under the elm and he was watching a hen. I set a hen decoy out in the clearing I was sneaking through and I sneaked up as far as I could. That left me about 60 yards from the tom. Not nearly close enough for a modified choke 12 gauge. I kept watching and the tom would fan and strut a little and then just lay on the ground and the hen just kept walking around feeding. Finally the tom came toward me a little into the disked ground. I decided to hit the box call and he answered me. In a little bit the hen started making the same sound I did. I just stayed quiet, thinking patience was the thing. In a couple of minutes the hen actually came toward me and got within 10 feet of me. I was against some bushes, but just crouched down in the open, with full camo on, of course. She acted like she thought I was something, but couldn't figure out what it was. Then I think she saw the decoy, she started doing the chop, chop, chop, but didn't seemed too alarmed. Then she worked her way into the brush across from me about 30 feet. That got me excited, because I didn't have to worry about her now, and the tom would surely follow. Sure enough, in a couple of minutes I could see the tom's head coming. He had to cross a pasture road and come up a small rise. When he got to 20 yards, I fired. He started trotting away to theleft and I jumped up and shot again and he was obviously hit but tried to fly. He got off the ground a couple of feet and I let him have it again. This time he was down for good.

He weighed 22-9, had a 9 3/4" beard, and had 1 9/16 and 1 11/16 spurs.

Last Saturday, the 21st I killed a 14# jake.

Here's some pics of the big boy.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jmarkm6/DSCN0486.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jmarkm6/DSCN0472.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/jmarkm6/DSCN0490.jpg
Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a nice bird isatarak...
Old 05-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

dav2601 if you go out to lexington anymore you might want to go inside the reserve,stay to the right all the way back to where you have to turn left the right is a dirt path. should be a big fieldat the cable gate.
walkacross the cable follow that road back to a fence should see a pond.
go to the left to the top of hill,been hearing some over the fence they came close to us but were taken away by a hen.
brother got one on the 19th.
that land over the fence is state prison land.i might go tommorrow if not the rest of the week.

Quick Reply: Oklahoma turkey hunters...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.