Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Mangum, oklahoma info? >

Mangum, oklahoma info?

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Mangum, oklahoma info?

Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Mangum, oklahoma info?

Anyone hunt around Mangum, ok? I've got a chance to get in on a new lease for deer and turkeyin that area but don't know a whole lot about it. I've always hunted the southeastern part of the state.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Mangum, oklahoma info?

I am originally from Southwest Oklahoma in Lawton, which is a little more than an hour away. The turkey hunting is pretty good in my parts, and the deer are fair. There are a few "mountains" (oklahoma style) around this area but mostly flat land. You can check the 2005 deer harvest report for Greer Countyat www.wildlifedepartment.com.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:28 PM

I hunt in Greer County, out by Sandy Sanders Wildlife and I grew up in Mangum. I don't live there now. There are getting to be more and more deer in the area every year. Back in the 80's there weren't many deer around.It used to be if you were hunting and saw a deer with horns, you better shoot it. Because that wasprobably the only buck you would see.I think a lot of hunters are starting to pass up the smaller bucks, so there are getting to bea few more mature bucks. There are a lot of turkeys, especially around the rivers. Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

I don't hunt there but my friend and his dad hunt there, they took a 155" class last year with bow, and 2 other decent bucks, and they have one on film that will prolly go about 165"... They have their own hunting show and film out there quite a bit.. BuckVenturesoutdoors.com
Old 03-20-2007, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

It is a beautiful area. Quarts Mtn is just to the east of Mangum. I did the majority of my hunting last year out at Altus-Lugert WMA. I saw quite a few great looking deer, they just happend to outsmart me. Hopefully you will love the are as much as I do
Old 03-20-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it may be a good area. I'm excited to get the chance to hunt somewhere new this year.