Question For Oklahoma Hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Question For Oklahoma Hunters

Old 12-29-2006, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Question For Oklahoma Hunters

ORIGINAL: MC Bowhunter

My 11 year old daughter got her first deer with a bow a couple weeks ago. It was a button buck. Are you going to penalize her for that? That won't help grow the sport for our kids. It should be a happy time for them whatever they shoot.

MC

I'd fine her a $1000 and throw her in jail!

...actually, read post #16
Old 12-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

I punished her by buying her another tag...LOL

MC
Old 12-29-2006, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

It wont help. The only way it will help is with the people who hunt all three seasons. I don't know if there is a way to fix that problem unless you do a antler restriction for rifle season. It's a known fact people who have no clue grab a gun during rifle season and head to the woods for the first time of the year in hopes one will run by. But you can't do that for just one method of hunting. One thing you need to consider is a trophy to one person may not be to another. And most people out during gun season really don't care what they shoot. The people who are really hunting for big horns won't shoot the nice basket rack that needs to get bigger.But the person who just got picked up by his buddies to go deer hunting sure will.

MC
Good point, made me think of things from a slightly different perspective.

Maybe the best solution would be to raise the price of the tag and reward those that harvest deer meeting those guidelines during rifle and muzzleloader seasons by returning a significant portion of the tag fee to them. Then give the hunter the option of accepting the funds or donating them to a program that purchases or improvesland for public hunting.

...and have a cheaper youth tag as well

Old 12-29-2006, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I punished her by buying her another tag...LOL

MC
That'll teach her for being a good hunter!
Old 12-29-2006, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know what we need to do but something needs to be done... I can't grow monster deer around my property because every neighbor around me wants to shoot the first deer that shows up and has antlers(spike, forked horn) it doesn't matter... I take does for meat and I like to harvest mature bucks.. I do understand when it is your first year or 2 bowhunting and you just shoot the 1st thing in front of you.. But we need to do something because I went and looked at the pictures on the wall at my local check station and most everyone shoots small 1.5 yr bucks... I think the antler restriction would be a good thing.. I also heard an old farmer say the other day that we need a couple years that no one can shoot a buck.. I don't agree with that, but what do yal think.??
Old 12-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Spike

I really dont know if there is a good answer, what i do know is from the experience of hunting two states every year that my Kansas experience is heads above my Oklahoma hunts. We hunt in a very good area of NW Oklahoma and see and kill some nice bucks. When we go to Kansas to hunt the size of the deer are just in a totally different class. Its all because in Kansas you can shoot one buck a year and thats it. They just have a chance to grow up and get big. I have thought Oklahoma should have done that long ago. I think you should be able to buy an buck tag and hunt any season to get your buck. If people could shoot only one buck they might be a lot more selective about what they shoot.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I have noticed when reading about the actually hearings is that a lot of people other than hunters offer input at the meetings and they don't have the same concerns we do. Insurance companies like to see more deer killed, period, because of so many claims for auto/deer collisions. Farmers have other motives. Some of them want as many deer as possible killed because of crop damage. Others may have large tracts of land they sell leases on and are looking at the profit angle.

I think a lot of places around here have some really good bucks, but they obviously are harder to hunt and someone who only hunts a couple of weekends will take the first buck they see and others just don't have the patience or skill to wait or know how to hunt the older bucks.

This is really a complex issue when you start to consider all the angles.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: isatarak

Farmers have other motives. Some of them want as many deer as possible killed because of crop damage.
These guys peeve me. They want all these deer killed but when you ask them permission, its the ole' heisman stiff arm and comments 'Sorry, i dont let anyone hunt' or 'Im savin it for my 8yr old grandson (that lives 1000 miles away and MIGHT want to come hunt (ie:shoot a spike))'
Old 12-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Fork Horn

The excuse that gets me when I've asked for permission to bowhunt is, "No, we have cattle. We don't want them gettin' shot." ...how in the heck am I going to accidently shoot a cow with my bow?

ORIGINAL: okietreedude

ORIGINAL: isatarak

Farmers have other motives. Some of them want as many deer as possible killed because of crop damage.
These guys peeve me. They want all these deer killed but when you ask them permission, its the ole' heisman stiff arm and comments 'Sorry, i dont let anyone hunt' or 'Im savin it for my 8yr old grandson (that lives 1000 miles away and MIGHT want to come hunt (ie:shoot a spike))'
Old 12-30-2006, 03:08 AM

"Insurance companies like to see more deer killed, period, because of so many claims for auto/deer collisions."

That said it all. The farmers and insurance companies will win every time. Any farmer who does not allow safe hunting and then whines about deer damage gets what he deserves.

Quick Reply: Question For Oklahoma Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.