Another great day bowhunting in Va >

Another great day bowhunting in Va

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Another great day bowhunting in Va

Old 12-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Another great day bowhunting in Va

Was out yesterday near Goshen and was able to bag a doe with my bow. That makes 4 for the year. I'm really loving my new Switchback! Anyway, it was close to that should I get down time, when that familiar sound of several large animals coming down the ridge. Before I knew it, I had 7 doe all within 20 yards of my stand. Looking to have a big batch of smoked summer sausage ready for the holidays, I drew back and put the pin right where it counts on the largest one. The arrow found its mark with that confirming THWACK sound and all seven deer went in every direction. I watch my doe go 40 yards, tumble, then jump out of sight. I waited only a few minutes, scurried down my tree and packed up my Summit before looking for my arrow. When I found my arrow, a complete passthrough, I was amazed with all the blood! I've never seen that much blood on a arrow! I went right to where I lost sight of her and found her 10 feet from that spot. When I dressed her, I found penetration through one lung and the heart. Of all the deer I've harvested with my bow, I have never actually hit the heart. Gotta love those Montec broadheads! Hope everyone's still getting out there. This mild weather is perfect for bowhunting. (sorry, no pics of the doe)
Old 12-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Another great day bowhunting in Va

Sounds like you are having a great time. Also glad to hear you are getting it done with a bow. That Mathews isgreat. I try to hunt with my bow as much as possible and have gotten tired of explaining to people why Iuse it during gun season. Its something special to be so close to a deer you can spook him by thinking to loud. I hope to let atleast one more Muzzy loose before Jan. 1.

Jim
Old 12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Spike

Congradulations on the doe??? It sounds like my suspicions are confrimed that the doe have grouped up early this year. I saw a group together recently. What part of the state?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I was hunting near Goshen and on this property we see herds of 20-30 doe all season long, which makes bowhunting more difficult with 40-60 eyes looking all around. We have a QDM program in place that should bring those herds down in a few years. I plan on getting back out Wed/Thur then the entire last week of the season (Gulp!). I'll probably stick with my bow, heck, I haven't even hunted with my ML or shotgun this year. This mild weather has been a late season bowhunters dream!

Good luck to you all...
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

ufunny2, congrats on the bow kill, goshen huh, thats ownly 40miles from me.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ufunny2... Way to go on the doe! Congratulations...

Goshen? I've been there. Beautiful country. It's just a bit down the road my where I godeer hunting at a camp. I love it out there!

Butch A.