Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Help in SC

Old 11-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Help in SC

I have hunted hogs at Graham's Turnout the last couple of years and had a great time. Unfortunately, they have close shop and I need to find another place to hunt that is fair and honest like Randy that used to run Grahams Turnout. It was a fair daily price and you could shoot a hog at each sitting. They were fenced, but it was over 700 acres. The new law in SC says you can't release new hogs if the property is not fenced. I hunted another of the big name places down there without a fence, and it was horrible. No more hogs, even with bait piles. Any recommendation would be great.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help in SC

Mike:

Are you looking for a hunt with no high fences and no bait piles?

I know of a couple of places with high fences, but finding a place that does trophy hog hunting in SC without a high fence is tough to do. There are certainly lots of hogs down here, I live in Charleston by the way. But, especially in the lowcountry, any place for the most part that is big enough to have a full time, guide/lodge hunting operation is just going to be totally private. I used to hunt them on Hope Plantation, which is owned by Ted Turner. Archery only, the caretaker wants ALL of 'em shot. But that isn't something that anyone can just call up and do. Most landowners want all the hogs shot, but really aren't willing to let just anyone hunt there.

Let me know exactly what you are looking for and I will pass along as much information as I can. Its tough to find a place with no bait piles down here, unless you want to run dogs and use a knife or lance.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the interest Collie. I'm sorry that my question was a little confusing. I take my father in law and his friend, who are both in thier 60's and can't hunt too hard anymore. I am looking for a place that has stands, high fences and baiting. I know it is not really hunting, but we have a good time and the old guys get out and shoot pigs. I would like to keep it around the $200 a day range and be able to shoot a pig at each sitting. Let me know if I'm dreaming or you think this is possible.

Mike
Old 12-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike:

$200 per day is a little bit on the light side. Most of the really reputable places I know of are sitting right about $300-$400 per day. There are a couple of places around Estill, SC that are litterally world class. Bostick Plantation and Buck Run Plantation. There is one other place, I think it is called Buck and Boar, but I cannot remember off the top of my head.

http://www.fishnandhuntn.com/

This link will take you to the website of the SC fishing and hunting guide, which is a free publication you can pick up just about anywhere. VA has the Sportsman's Guide or something like that, same sort of deal. They have listings for all sorts of outfitters and guides, as well as various ads submitted by gun shops. You sort of need to wade through the fluff, but there are some good deals to be had. You are going to need to sort by region. There are trophy hog hunts all over the state. Most are either in the Lowcountry or the mid-lands. Hope this helps some. If you need any opinions on places let me know and I will ask around for you.