Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Okla. Rifle Season >

Okla. Rifle Season

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Okla. Rifle Season

Old 11-15-2006, 02:42 PM

Default Okla. Rifle Season

Finally Okla. rifle season opens this weekend. I have actually gotten to take the full week off and go to Broken Bow area to hunt. Man the excitment is building. I sure hope to have a good report when I return. Any one else in Okla. ready????
Old 11-15-2006, 06:04 PM

Default RE: Okla. Rifle Season

[:@] I thought the season was year round down round broken bow? Just kiddin. The rut is full on right now around the NE part of the state. I will be in my stand all day tomorrow. This weekend should be like a war zone.

Good luck to you. It sure is pretty down there.

KB
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm very excited. I've killed a wallhanger already during the bow season, so there is no pressure to bag a buck, so I'm in it for the long haul.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Im going to hunt on a buddy's land in atoka county he said there are a lot of deer, don't really know what to expect since I have never been there and he doesn't hunt. I know they have a nice oat patch that deer have been coming into. any advice!

Old 11-15-2006, 11:23 PM

What part of Atoka County? I just picked up a lease there. Southeast of Atoka about 19 miles.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm looking forward to my annual hunt in Osage county NW of Tulsa. This is not a trophy hunt, and I am not a trophy hunter. I love to be in the woods, to take deer, process the meat myself, and cook great gourmet meals with the venison. I will leave work mid-afternoon Friday and begin driving up from my home just north of Dallas, Texas. I'll have my truck packed tonight, excepting my several guns that I pack at the last minute. I am carrying .22 LR and 12 gauge in the event I also have opportunity to do some squirrel and duck hunting after taking my deer.

A special treat this year, I am bringing my 10 year old daughter along to observer. Last year she came out into my sister-ini-law's backyard and wanted to watch me skin and cut-up my doe. I figured that would last about two minutes until she got grossed out. Au contraire! She was fascinated, watched the whole thing closely, and wanted to participate in the butchering inside the house. I let her write the identifying information on the packaged meat. Anyway, the plan is for her to sit with me while I hunt. I'm taking a sleeping bag for her to pull up over her torso to keep warm in the mornings. I'm taking ear plugs and the "ear muff" hearing protection devices: I don't imagine she will be happy to get blasted by the report of a deer rifle, so she needs hearing protection (I use hearing protection at the range but not while hunting). I also hope to have her take a book or two which she can read if she gets bored with just sitting and watching. I hunt from improvised ground blinds and generally stay on stand about 3 to 4 hours. For example, opening morning I'll plan to be walking to my appointed position at 5:30 AM, with legal shooting light being about 6:30 AM. I'll stay in this position until 9:30, maybe 10 AM. In the afternoon I'll try to get into position about 2:30 PM, and last shooting light is about 5:45 PM. Between the morning and afternoon I drive back to my sister-in-laws house. This works for me. I take a deer every year; last year I took both a doe and a buck following this routine.

Anyway, yes, the excitement is building.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:08 AM

I'll be hunting in Grant and Kay County for the entire first week. Good luck to all, and is anybody else going to be up that way?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:32 PM

Be hunting around Wewoka this weekend, then back home to norman for the week. My uncle shot a nice 9 point down there the last weekend of blackpowder so hopefully they'll be some others around.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 AM

well here it is less than 24hrs away buck are chasing does everywhere and i at work shur wish i was in a tree, but i guess im lucky done bag a nice buck last week end so im going to be off next week to see if mister big come out. let the shootin begin.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, I am ready! I've been seeing some monsters on our place lately. Can't wait to see the sun rise tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Okla. Rifle Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.