Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Question for Texas hunters >

Question for Texas hunters

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Question for Texas hunters

Old 10-15-2006, 09:18 PM

Default Question for Texas hunters

I can't seem to find this info on the Texas wildlife department website, but I was curious about buying a Texas hunting license. I am active duty military and I'm an Oklahoma resident. I am also stationed in Oklahoma. I just want to come down and hunt some hogs. Oklahoma doesn't charge non-resident hunting fees for active duty. Does Texas do something similar? Thanks! Matt
Old 10-16-2006, 04:18 AM

Default RE: Question for Texas hunters

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/

Regardless, if you are not a resident of Texas, they really stick it to you on license fees. $300 is about the going rate I believe.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: KC10Chief

I can't seem to find this info on the Texas wildlife department website, but I was curious about buying a Texas hunting license. I am active duty military and I'm an Oklahoma resident. I am also stationed in Oklahoma. I just want to come down and hunt some hogs. Oklahoma doesn't charge non-resident hunting fees for active duty. Does Texas do something similar? Thanks! Matt
Look on page 20. Resident, Non-Resident and Military Personel (0n active duty)

Outdoor Annual - 2006-207

Old 10-16-2006, 07:12 AM

WOO HOO! That was the info I was looking for! Looks like I can purchase a resident license! Now I gotta figure out where to go hunt them at...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

KC.

There are some nice hogs down around the Tylor area, But if your looking for BIG hogs, then you need to look into going to Arkansas. There are alot of people there that will let you hunt their land at no cost becouse of the land that these guys tear up.

I grew up in North Cent. Arkansas around Mtn. View and killed hogs year round there

Hope it helps.
hunter338
Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Spike

Check closer for just "hogs" if that's all you want to hunt. I live in Oklahoma but work in Texas and I'm pretty sure (but don't go to jail over my advice....check it out) that if you are only hunting hogs and on private landyou don't have to have a license. I'll try to look tomorrow and see if I can find out where I got that idea. If I can find it, I'll post where the info is. I hope it works out for you. I believe there are still private landowners in north central Texas that might let a responsible guy hunt without paying a big (or maybe no) fee at all. Either way----Good Luck.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:35 PM
Spike

Here's the info I must have seen. I copied this and am pasteing it to this post.

A hunting license is required of any person, regardless of age, who hunts any animal, bird, frog or turtle in this state (except furbearers, if the hunter possesses a trapper's license). No license is required for nuisance fur-bearing animals, depredating hogs or coyotes (see below). Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Special Resident Hunting License (Type 102).
A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:
[ul][*]Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals, or fowl.[*]Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land[/ul]

It would be best to research this further for definitions of depredation and being a landowner's agent but it sounds to me that if a feral hog is tearing up crops, etc and you are helping out the landowner to get rid of the hogs, you may not need a license at all. Of course, sometimes when one kills animals that are depredating, you can't actually remove the animal. That may not be the case here, but if I were you, I'd check for sure before I shot one and carried it off.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:59 PM

Nice find rebel.

tycteach, if I'm not mistaken the landowner has to have already proven that the hogs have caused monetary damage to not have to have a license to kill them on his land. I know landowners in Milan Co have this right because are so destructive.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:27 PM

And for what it's worth, a non-resident hunting license for species other than whitetaildeer is $45 for 5 days, which isn't bad. My brother-in-law has joined me for a couple of hunts down here (exotics and hogs) and the biggest problem was convincing the dopes at Wal-Mart that a non-resident doesn't have to pay $300 for a license.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Well,If you want some big hogs,come on down to Madison county near madisonville,Ill set you up real nice!!!

Quick Reply: Question for Texas hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.