Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Do you carry a handgun while hunting? >

Do you carry a handgun while hunting?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Do you carry a handgun while hunting?

Old 08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Spike

Default Do you carry a handgun while hunting?

Hello All,
I live in Florida where I plan to Huntand I was just wondering do you carry a handgun to the woods? if yes,would a 9mmcaliberbe sufficient?

Old 08-10-2006, 12:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you carry a handgun while hunting?

Don't really see a need to.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Spike

thanks timbercruiser, I do not have muchhunting experience and I came across a post a couple days ago - can't remember where - in that post the guy said that hebow hunt whitetails andhe carried handgun just in case he runs into a boar on his way tohis tree stand; that is why I am asking.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:39 PM

carrying a handgun during archery or muzzle loader season on any wma in florida is highly illegal. private land is ok i believe. several of the wma's i hunt the fwc do vehicle checks at various places thru the wma and if caught with a gun during archery or any gun except muzzle loader during black powder will result in a hefty fine for carring a gun out of season and its expensive. hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey I had the same qustion...because archery is very dangerous in Florida. I persued a Concealed Weapons Permit so I could carry a pistol while hunting. Guess what??YOu still can't. On page 2 of teh Concealed Weapns handout you can never carry a concealed weapon in a public park or WMA . You can only carry it in a WMA during general gun. I called Tallahassee up to make sure. I had read it right for sure ,so I did not get the permit.because you can carry a loaded pistol in Florida anyway in your car.
C7
Old 08-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's legal here in Virginia. I carry when I go bowhunting (I also have a CWP for Virginia). You wouldn't believe how many coyotes, varmints and, Lord only know what else you might encounter in the woods!

Old 08-11-2006, 06:10 AM

I carry a 357 with me most of the time for snakes. Anything bigger get's put in the scope. During bow season though it is illegal to carry a pistol larger than a 22 in the state of louisiana. So I normally leave it in the truck.
Old 08-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

As a follow-up, I'm in the woods all the time and the only thing I've run into thus far that won't either run or make an attempt to get out of your way is a moccasin and a stick to the back of his head will take care of him. Hogs I've run into are as spooky as a deer.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Hey I had the same qustion...because archery is very dangerous in Florida. I persued a Concealed Weapons Permit so I could carry a pistol while hunting. Guess what??YOu still can't. On page 2 of teh Concealed Weapns handout you can never carry a concealed weapon in a public park or WMA . You can only carry it in a WMA during general gun. I called Tallahassee up to make sure. I had read it right for sure ,so I did not get the permit.because you can carry a loaded pistol in Florida anyway in your car.
C7
I agree that not all WMA will allow but some dosuch as "CHASSAHOWITZKA" will allow someone with a CCW: {Possession of a gun is allowed only during periods when hunting with a gun is permitted, except persons in possession of a valid Concealed Weapon or Firearm License may carry concealed handguns throughout the year.}

Thanks all for your replies, be safe .
Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

C7
If you don't have a CCW when hunting in a WMA during General GunSeason, you can nothave it on you when coming out to the main highway. You can not have loaded firearms 300ft from any main road, even if you are picking up dogs, all weapons must be unloaded.

Some hunters forget and have them on their sides when going to the nearest store or hardware store. That is when it can cause you illegal problems and maybe arrested.

Quick Reply: Do you carry a handgun while hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.