Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 Has anyone hunted Eglin Air ForceBase >

Has anyone hunted Eglin Air ForceBase

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Has anyone hunted Eglin Air ForceBase

Old 06-09-2006, 08:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Has anyone hunted Eglin Air ForceBase

Has anyone hunted Eglin. They sent me a map of the 140,000 and some acres. I called last year and the permit is 40.00 and needs to be purchased in the fall. I even found the place where you purchase the permit off of the Google map. I still have lots of questions. From central Florida you simply follow I 75 to 20. Follow 20 till you meet with highway 85. Bingo..Permit station called Jackson. This is all I know. C7

Old 06-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Has anyone hunted Eglin Air ForceBase

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Has anyone hunted Eglin. They sent me a map of the 140,000 and some acres. I called last year and the permit is 40.00 and needs to be purchased in the fall. I even found the place where you purchase the permit off of the Google map. I still have lots of questions. From central Florida you simply follow I 75 to 20. Follow 20 till you meet with highway 85. Bingo..Permit station called Jackson. This is all I know. C7

Chuck, I went to Eglin one time in the early 70's and have never been back. I prefer Point Washington, it's alot better and no Red Tape!

Point Washington
Old 06-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I never even heard of that area Reb. I bet you have hunted all over Florida. I talked to the lady today.

Here are the details.
1. You send for a 40.00 permit through the mail the 3rd wek of Sept. I have the address if anyone woujld like it.

2.Then,,, you are sent the yearly hunting regulations/ with map.I already have a map on the computer. There are different areas for diffferent types of hunts. In some of the areas you don't even check in. You simply shoot your game and head on back. There are areas from quality hunts to spike deer from archery , BP to rifle .The permit also covers the many fishing lakes. To camp it cost 5.00 for 5 days but it's a first come first serve. For you and I Reb...it's a long drive my friend.
Eglin is special to me Reb....it's where I meant our Savior, I plan to get a permit.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chuck the easiest way to get to Jackson Guard for you would be to come I-10 west to the first exit past DeFuniak Springs. Thenturn south to Niceville, turn right on 20, go down the hill and turn north on 85 for about 100 yards and it will be on the right. Lots of people hunt Eglin, too many for me. I have looked at a lot of timber on Eglin over the last few years, but the last time I hunted there was about 1976 and it was very crowded then.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Has anyone hunted Eglin Air Force Base

I never even heard of that area RebI bet you have hunted all over Florida. I talked to the lady today.

Here are the details.
1. You send for a 40.00 permit through the mail the 3rd week of Sept. I have the address if anyone would like it.

2.Then,,, you are sent the yearly hunting regulations/ with map.I already have a map on the computer. There are different areas for different types of hunts. In some of the areas you don't even check in. You simply shoot your game and head on back. There are areas from quality hunts to spike deer from archery , BP to rifle .The permit also covers the many fishing lakes. To camp it cost 5.00 for 5 days but it's a first come first serve. For you and I Reb...it's a long drive my friend.
Eglin is special to me Reb....it's where I meant our Savior, I plan to get a permit.
Chuck that's the only way to know how they are, is going and find out. My choices for Northwest Fl. Wmas are Point Washington, Apalachee, Joe Budd and Flint Rock. When I use to hunt the Flint Rock area which borders the Saint Marks National Refuge, it was all called Aucilla WMA, from the Saint Marks River to Perry. It covered three counties, Wakulla, Jefferson and Taylor. I hunted this area for over 10yrs. Jefferson County was the best area of the WMA, because it's the only county in FL that's from the Georgia line to the Gulf of Mexico. Now-a-days, you would have tobe awardeda Flint Rock permit and pay $200 stamp and FL Statelicense fee's, plus $12 per day camping across on Hwy 98 on the Wakulla County camp grounds.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Timber and Reb,

If the crowds are that big I probably won't hunt it. I don't like crowds and that is too long of a drive for disapointments. Sounds like hunting used to be real good Reb. I wouldn't mind hunting somewhere in northern Florida just for the experience.
C7
Old 06-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Spike

Eglin does get crowded during regular gun season, which is shotgun only. Point Washington got cut down to a small area, but there are good deer there. Point Washington has very few hogs where as eglin has quite a bit more.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the feedback. They sent me the map / regulations.
Have you ever hunted Eglin befor e??If yes ,I have a few questions. I don't quite understand the regs.

C7
Old 07-01-2006, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the feedback. They sent me the map / regulations.
Have you ever hunted Eglin befor e??If yes ,I have a few questions. I don't quite understand the regs.

C7
Chuck, I hunted Eglin one time in the early 70's and I'm sure the reg's have changed many times since. Sorry!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:36 AM
Fork Horn

I have not hunted Eglin before but I drive through on hwy 20 several times a week.I was thinking about hunting it some this year but haven't decided yet. I can tell you that I see a lot of turkey close to 85 near the airport and some nice bucks just east of Niceville on hwy 20. If you have the address for permitting office how about Pm me. I'll talk to some folks I know who have hunted it and see what I can find out.

Quick Reply: Has anyone hunted Eglin Air ForceBase

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.