Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
Eliminating Running Dogs >

Eliminating Running Dogs

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Eliminating Running Dogs

Old 10-27-2002, 03:19 AM

Default Eliminating Running Dogs

Has anyone besides me noticed the increase in the deer herd in the Calhoun, Cherokee, Etewah, and Cleburne County area's since running dogs was banned ? I'm 27 years old and in the past five years after the ban I am begining to see more and more deer every year.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:16 AM

Default RE: Eliminating Running Dogs

[never mind]

Edited by - LawDawg on 10/27/2002 05:30:02
Old 10-27-2002, 10:01 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2002, 11:36 AM

Well this is the first time that I even hear about a deer population increasing with the elimination of dog running. I am sure that if you would do your research that it is the exact opposite in every other state and/or area. The fact remains that 99.9% of the time the dogs do not kill the deer. So if everyone kills their tags in that area the same amount of deer will be killed no matter what.

I run dogs in Ark. and La. and let me tell you Whether I am running dogs or still hunting I see a bunch of deer. The amount of deer in an area depends on feed, how much timber, what type of timber...ect.

I run dogs on my lease in Ark. We have been doing this on the same lease every year for the past 22years...this is also land that we still hunt....The population has not decreased.....example : every day that we could run dogs last year, we did. Did I see a decrease in deer this year...you tell me...I saw 27 deer in three days in one stand. And this is different deer not the same deer over and over.
Old 11-02-2002, 12:45 PM

2+2=???? If you can answer this correct try the next 2 questions.

Can you name the top 5 states with the most deer per acre?????
Do they allow doghunting??? hummmmm!!!!

Your 27 years old?? I've been hunting for 35 years and have saw a lot of things that effect deer heards, doghunting ain't one of them.

ZIIIIPPPPP--PAP

Edited by - 6-mag on 11/02/2002 13:51:46
Old 11-02-2002, 01:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

LawDawg I have noticed that the deer herd is growing in most cases everywhere with or without dogs, the herd is so big in Va. now that if you hunted bow, blackpowder and gun, you could conceivably kill 3 buck and over 100 doe legaly!!!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 11-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Typical Buck

I grew up running dogs in MS. When we stopped running dogs, it seemed like every year we were seeing more and more deer. While I believe we were, I think it had more to do with not disturbing them from a natural routine. When you run dogs, you are disturbing them from their normal habits and patterns. I think our population just got bigger on their own, but it made them easier to still hunt by not running them out of their beds every day. JMO.

Hunt hard, live right, and tell your kids you love 'em!
Old 11-04-2002, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

My hunting land is on the border of 2 counties with a dirt road dividing them. On my side (Montgomery county) it is illegal to hunt with dogs. On the other side of the dirt road (Richmond county) it is legal. The problem we have is the "dogers" will let their dogs out in Montgomery county and run the deer over to their county. We've seen this happen several times and have confronted them on a few occasions. They have little or no respect for anyone. They have come on our posted property to "find their dogs". Last year one of them walked right under my buddies stand "looking for his dog". After hearing the yelling match they had going I got out of the stand and walked over. We ran the guy off and explained to him he would be busted for trespassing if caught again and from that point on his dogs would be shot if they were on our land.

As far as banning dog hunting, I don't think it will increase the deer population because the dog hunters around us seem to take less deer than we do without dogs.

I'm not bashing all the dog hunters. If it's legal and you enjoy doing it, I have no problem with it at all. I do have a problem with the ones that have no respect for other hunters. They, like poachers give hunting a bad name.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if your dogs run on my property, your responsible for them. Whats the penalty for tresspassing?
Old 11-05-2002, 06:06 AM

The tresspass issue has been the biggest ongoing proplem with running dogs in NC. After having 8 locks cut I finally got fed up. The unfortunate thing is that the Harnett Co. commissioners didn't have the guts to deal with it this past Jan. because of the elections. I to have given warning to them concerning their dogs. I even had one fella tell me he was going to kill me over the CB. If it's legal, do it. However, the show of road hunting and tresspass has made the other hunters look like crap to the antis. I, myself, don't care to be included with those folks. It won't be too long before someone gets hurt in the field when the stand hunters and dog hunters square off. Unfortunately, then something will be done about it. The other issue is that NC makes it awfully difficult to prosecute for tresspass. Is it posted properly, is it registered with the sheriff's dept., is it registered with Wildlife Resources, and the list goes on. What ever happened to if it's not yours, stay the hell away?

An armed society is a polite society.

Quick Reply: Eliminating Running Dogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.