Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 See any Mt. Lion in Texas? >

See any Mt. Lion in Texas?

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

See any Mt. Lion in Texas?

Old 02-24-2006, 06:16 AM

Default RE: See any Mt. Lion in Texas?

Yep, looks like a Texas lion. Not to make little of what is an AWESOME kill, but it's awfully small. Then again, most of the animals I've shot in TX have had small bodies (the bucks had big racks, don't get me wrong, but they were roughly the same weight as my Great Dane). The lions I've seen in Montana were MUCH larger cats than that one. As I said, I ain't trying to here... I'm just curious why animals in general are smaller in body down there (with the exception of the jackrabbits, which could easily mate with the deer). That particular cat has a pretty decent body, but it's skull is pretty small.

All questions aside, ANY time you shoot a large predator like that you have EVERY right to brag!!!!! Speaking of mountain lions... We've got a few up here in Minnesota! They're some living up near St. Cloud and quite a few down in the Minnesota River Valley. Never seen one in person, but we've heard them, saw their tracks, and had one who ate most of the hindquarter off of my step-dad's deer overnight!!!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Is it legal to kill a mt. lion in texas? I don't think you can shoot them here in Oklahoma....
Old 02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think it is o.k., but I think Texas Parks and Wildlife would like you to report it. If I remember correctly, they had an 800 number hotline you could call to report mountain lion sightings.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

In Texas you can kill all of them you want. We see at least 1 a year on out lease.

-john
Old 02-24-2006, 08:52 PM

I know where one lives right now in Parker County, Texas. It is
legal to shoot them in Texas and yes the Texas Parks & Wildlife
has an 800 number where you are suppose to report them.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 AM

I think the weight thing has to do with the heat. I had a chance to see one near Uvalde a couple years back......had a 100 lb doe about 12 feet up in a tree wedged in a limb fork. We saw the doe from a distance and had no idea what it was until we got closer.....then we saw the cat run off.....it was a great opportunity to look at my then 10 yr old son, and say ...." now how much do you weigh...??" ....he smiled and said.....about 100 pounds........we both laughed...but also realized.....there are things in Texas that can hurt ya alot worse than in SE Missouri. Back to the heat ...a Taxidermy guy told me right away the coyote I brought him was from Texas...I asked how he knew...he said the ears are bigger to ventilate the heat.....a dead giveaway....and the bodies are leaner...they simply cannot carry that much weight in South Texas....just too damn hot. Thus the deer bodies, big cats..coyotes ..maybe they all follow suite....
Old 03-22-2006, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I live in a pretty new development, golf course, soccerfields, small wooded areas scattered around. The other day, there were two Bob cats crossing to soccer fields, going to the golf course.. Fore!!! I would sure like to see them inthe field where I practice shooting my bow.......
Old 03-24-2006, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: pony80

I think the weight thing has to do with the heat. I had a chance to see one near Uvalde a couple years back......had a 100 lb doe about 12 feet up in a tree wedged in a limb fork. We saw the doe from a distance and had no idea what it was until we got closer.....then we saw the cat run off.....it was a great opportunity to look at my then 10 yr old son, and say ...." now how much do you weigh...??" ....he smiled and said.....about 100 pounds........we both laughed...but also realized.....there are things in Texas that can hurt ya alot worse than in SE Missouri. Back to the heat ...a Taxidermy guy told me right away the coyote I brought him was from Texas...I asked how he knew...he said the ears are bigger to ventilate the heat.....a dead giveaway....and the bodies are leaner...they simply cannot carry that much weight in South Texas....just too damn hot. Thus the deer bodies, big cats..coyotes ..maybe they all follow suite....
Righto! The plants and animals in different regions have spent generations adapting to their environment. Bigger bodies retain heat energy much more efficiently, while smaller bodies lose heat much more rapidly. They do this because mass increases at a much higher rate than surface area, and surface area is where the heat is lost. This is also why the ears are smaller in cold environments and larger in warm enviornments, because the ears have very little mass and a larger surface area.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

No I haven't but I thought of this post this weekend.. I went hog hunting, and I put out some soured corn and nestled down in some tall grass.. Soon it got dark, then real dark. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face, much less my sights on my Bowtech... I have a red light mounted on the stabilizer to help. Soon I heard the leaves making a racket.. I didn't' see anything, when I turned the light on, the walking stopped as soon as I got quiet again the rustling would began. I then began to think of this post... and decided to get the heck out of the woods..... The next night the same thing, except I scared a possum as bad as he scared me...
Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 AM

awesome pic.

Quick Reply: See any Mt. Lion in Texas?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.