HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   South (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south-27/)
-   -   Fort Stewart, GA (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/south/124958-fort-stewart-ga.html)

richardca99 12-17-2005 05:12 PM

RE: Fort Stewart, GA

Nicebuck. Wild COWS??? Boy, talk about filling your freezer with quality meat!!

ranchand99 12-18-2005 10:56 AM

Nice buck Ifly.I like that gambrel!Echo 2 is archery only now.:Drichardca99 We went out yesterday,and I put my friend in a spot.He shot a buck that had shed his antlers.He weighed 114lbs.He thought it was a doe.I am headed out in a few minutes to get back out there.I can't go during the week unless it is a holiday.I have next Monday,and Tuesday off.PM me and we'll get up and go.The good thing about Stewart is you don't have to scout too much.There are deer everywhere.I usually ride,and look for tracks..(Which are everywhere you know)then I look for spots that look good to me.I have learned that most of thelong time hunters at Stewarthave their best luck by walking across the pines,300 yds or more,and climbing up 75yds or so from the thick bay strands.Those deer are usually laying up in them.I started doing that last year,and saw more deer,usually does though.

ranchand99 12-18-2005 06:19 PM

I saw 4 right at dark,but couldn't tell what they were.I was in the QDM area,so I had to make sure.Saw 3 more on the way out so I know another spot to check out.Yes,there has been alot of pressure in the QDM.WAY more than the last 3 years for sure.I guess some of our soldiers have come back.I dunno why there are so many people there this year..[&:]

richardca99 12-24-2005 05:52 AM

ranchand99, took my stepson up there Thursday and Friday, and he killed a nice little 8-point. It was a young deer, but a FANTASTIC first buck. It was chasing a doe, believeit or not...surely a young doe coming into late estrous.

ranchand99 12-24-2005 09:15 PM

Awesome!!!That's great!!Have you got any pics?Guess what....I forgot to sign out today,and now I am suspended until next SUNDAY!Dawg on it.[:@]Guess I have to hunt at the local WMA Mon,and tuesday.

Ifly 12-25-2005 08:58 AM

Ft. Stewart brings back good old memeories...my favorite areas back when I hunted it were E-2, E-4, E-6, B-4, F-2 and what back then was called E.O.D. close to the A areas, right next to the old air field...Liberty Field I think it was called.
I got stopped by an M-P the first yr. compound bows were legal in Ga. (not too long after compounds came on the market) the MP stopped me in the A-areas when I was driving out and he said it is not legal to have a strung bow in your vehicle. I had a hard time explaining to him about not being able to string and unstring a compound every time you got in or out of your vehicle.

richardca99 12-26-2005 06:52 AM

I do have photos, but I haven't downloaded from my camera just yet. I'll get them on later today. By theway, Itried to find the spot you described, but one of the roads you mentioned wasn't on the map. I'lllet you know where I got lost when I post the pic.

I've forgotten to log out myself, and endured the 1 week suspension. It's frustrating!!

ranchand99 12-26-2005 10:59 AM

Here is a map of that area.This is b-23's map,but b-21 is on it.I circled fs77a,and fs59.fs77a is probably the one you didn't find.I don't beleive it is marked,but it is the first road to the left after fs59.The spot I was telling you about is probably only 400yds past fs59.I marked the approximate area with a purple circle w/ an x in it.It's been 3 years.That little turn around spot is where I went in.There isn't a road there.If you still can't find it we'll get up and go in a week or 2.I'm sitting here now trying to talk myself into going hunting on the WMA.Just can't seem to get motivated to go there like I can Stewart.Good luck.I may have said fs56 instead of fs59,but I meant fs59.Post back,and let me know what you might have missed.

ranchand99 12-26-2005 11:02 AM

I see in my original instructions I said fs57,but I meant fs59.

richardca99 12-26-2005 03:35 PM

That helps a LOT! Thanks...I was looking much farther down and a lot closer to FS 77A. I'll be out of town through Friday, but I'm going to try to get up at least once or twice more before deer season ends. I'll get with you as soon as I know I'm going. Here's the pic of my stepson's buck...