Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 OK Wall Mount...Finally! >

OK Wall Mount...Finally!

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

OK Wall Mount...Finally!

Old 12-08-2005, 12:52 PM

Default OK Wall Mount...Finally!

I've beenafter this one for over 35 years and wanted to share with all. Seen plenty larger, out of range or in a dead run. Finally he stepped outand the fever took over. 8 points, 142# field dressed, Woodward County, OK. A day to remember, 12/01/05. Best luck to all, Griz

Old 12-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: OK Wall Mount...Finally!

Great looking buck Grizz, man I bet its cold in Wooward right now!!! Or Fargo for that matter...
Old 12-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Typical Buck

Really nice buck. Congrats!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:35 PM

Great Oklahoma buck, Grizzmck!! Congratulations. Did activity seem to pick up before this cold snap?
Old 12-08-2005, 04:01 PM

807, We saw less deer this year during all three seasons than the previous two years on this lease. There are 3 of us on approximately 120 huntable acres of a 200 acre lease around 12milesnorth by northwestof Seiling. We are used to seeing dozens/scores of does and a few bucks although we have had notable successes during all seasons each year. Our best combined estimate until this year is a 30+ to 1 doe to buck ratio. This year, less does (less than 30 different animals total for the three seasons), but a few more bucks. We have 4 55 gallon corn feedersthat seem to help the does come off a neighboring wheat field for a light desert before bedding down or a morning snack. The bucks follow these does. There are no deer that live on our property, they are all passing through.

We have 3 or 4 young spikes to 6 pointers coming through regurlarly that may someday be desirable. We try to hold to the 8 points or more, mature (5 1/2 or better) rule and take as many of the older (not with fawn or yearling) does as the law allows and that we have opportunity on. We saw more "stranger" bucks on the property this year than previously. A couple of really nice ones ranged through chasing does during the first and second week of gun season. We didn't get a shot at any of those. The last week seemed to bring the "cruisers" looking for non-bred does and these 4 or 5 were of all sizes and descriptions including the basket rack that is pictured above.

I can't say that the cold snap made them move more or less, though wesaw many less animals Saturday and Sunday of the season closing and that is when the cold snap really settled into our camp.This could be attributed to the cold,Iguess, but it's anyones guess. I'vebeen trying to get inside a whitetails mind forall of my adult life and every time I thinkI'vecome upon anaxiom, the darn critters do somethingtotally off the scale and completely change the rules. Such is life. Perhaps that's why they call thishunting and not shooting.

Thanks for the comment. Best regards, Griz
Old 12-08-2005, 05:27 PM
Spike

very nice buck , i wish i was back there in oklahoma (did i say that) i do miss the hunting there .
Old 12-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

very nice, congrats
Old 12-09-2005, 02:41 PM

Congratulations!

He'll look greaton a wall.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: grizzmck

I've beenafter this one for over 35 years
Great looking deer griz! Congrats!
I didn't know deer got that old.???
Old 12-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Great Job! Congrat's!

Quick Reply: OK Wall Mount...Finally!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.