Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

elk in tx

Old 10-30-2005, 09:27 PM

Default elk in tx

i was going to my deer blind saturday morning and i get there and get settled and everything so about 45mins to an hour roll around i hear something back to my right coming towards me and i look and it was a elk. so i watch it as it walks by tempting to shoot it but thinking about all the big tickets and fines i would get so it passes through and so later that evening i go back to the diner to grab a burger and i start telling everyone about what i saw and this gentlmen stand up and ask me about where i saw it and i told him and to figure out that he has a exotic hunting place over to the west of my hunting lease
Old 10-31-2005, 06:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: elk in tx

Aren't there some wild herds of elk in west Texas?
Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 AM

well you know where wichita falls is. just a little west of there is a littl town called crowell and just a little north ofthere is where i was hunting but i never heard of a herd of elk down this way but there might be some closer to the odessa out west but i really couldnt tll you the truth im just guessing

Old 11-01-2005, 07:16 AM

I believe Elk are considered exotics here in Texas (non-native). If that is so, there should be no closed season, no bag limit. Unless, of course, you weren't sure exactly who's land you were on. Wouldn't want you to shoot a man's elk on his own land without his permission. Does anyone know the status of elk in Texas for sure?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 AM

Susquatch you are right in that elk are considered exotices in Texas. The only elk in Texas I know of are either behind high fence or have gotten out of high fence. I have a lease up around Quitaque (west texas area) and last year I hear there was an Elk wondering around there. The guys on my lease with me said they could have shot it but just let it pass. Sounds like a few weeks later some dumb kid shot it off the road and was bragging about a 6x6 he shot. Needless to say the warden was not to happy.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:17 AM

Thanks, Jud. I probably would let it pass as well. Would be awfully tempting, though.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Fork Horn

There was a 900lb elk taken in Tulia a couple of years ago. Seems that fires in the New Mexico mountains pushed elk out of their rangeinto the panhandle of Texas. I wouldn't shoot one at this time in hopes that they could build a herd. Larry
Old 11-05-2005, 01:01 PM

i too have heard of some wild elk wondering down into the panhandle region and some parts of northern west texas.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:57 AM

We have a free ranging elk that made it all the way into NW ok. There was also one that was shot around here last year and he got caught big big fines. It sure would be tempting though.