Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 New to Northwest FL. and Bow Hunting >

New to Northwest FL. and Bow Hunting

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

New to Northwest FL. and Bow Hunting

Old 10-30-2005, 07:57 PM

Default New to Northwest FL. and Bow Hunting

Hello everyone, My name is Chris and I recently moved to Tallahassee. I've been shooting archrey for probably 10 years. I've really never hunted before. My dad got me into archery, but he was never a hunter. Being new to Tallahassee I don't know anyone who hunts. I've been out to the Apalachicola, Talquin, and Joe Budd. I am pretty much at a complete loss for how to hunt deer or turkey here in fl. I was wondering if there was anyone who would be willing to let me tag along and teach me a thing or two about hunting? I know this is a long shot, but I apprtiate any help or suggestions anyone has. Thank you for your time, Chris
Old 10-30-2005, 08:24 PM
Spike

Default RE: New to Northwest FL. and Bow Hunting

Been in Fl all my life. Early to mid season get in the swamps or under an acorn tree that is dropping. Mid to late around the rut, hunt where the does are(cuts, pines, ect) and late get back in the swamps.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:56 AM

Stickthrower, thanks for the advice and suggestions. I have been seeing deer but always because I have spooked them, out of there beds on the way to the areaI plan on hunting.no treestand so I will be hunting from the ground. I think I need to take much more time going to the area's i want to hunt and then hopfully be able to get close enough to the deer with out being detected first. Thanks for you time
Old 11-02-2005, 08:38 PM

If your ever down around the Orlando area, drop me an e mail and I'll take you somewhere close by and show you what to look for. In the mean time, good luck out there and just apply a lot of the same principals, but adapt to the terrain and you'll do fine. 90% is showing up!!!
Old 11-06-2005, 07:35 AM

ORIGINAL: new2shooting

Stickthrower, thanks for the advice and suggestions. I have been seeing deer but always because I have spooked them, out of there beds on the way to the areaI plan on hunting.no treestand so I will be hunting from the ground. I think I need to take much more time going to the area's i want to hunt and then hopfully be able to get close enough to the deer with out being detected first. Thanks for you time
if your jumping the deer,then you know where the stay.just get between that area and where you see the food,(acorn trees,honeysuckle ,and browse) then set up and wait and wait ,and wait.if you can get your self a climbing tree stand and get up a little ways and you will be amasied at how muck more you will be able to see.if you get to high it just as bad and not high enough.just startlooking as you go up then stop when you see what you like.
if you spook deer befor you get to the feed,then go around that area and get to the feed. if the girls are there the boys want be far behind.

good luck; and be safe.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Apalachicola, Talquin, and Joe Budd.
These are good areas you have been to! I have been to those areas many times myself! You're just about 23 miles SW from Flat Rock and Aucilla WMA's. I hunted
Aucilla for about 6yrs and it is a real good area, give ita try! These areas have cypressswamp and plenty of oak trees.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:33 AM

Hey everyone, Thanks for the replies, I plan on going out this afternoon and then friday, saturday and sunday. With any luck we'll see what happens. Thanks again for your replies. Chris