Sunday hunting in Virginia >

Sunday hunting in Virginia

Community
South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Sunday hunting in Virginia

Old 08-26-2005, 01:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sunday hunting in Virginia

We will never get this stupid law off the books if we, as sportsman, don't do something. Below is an e-mail I sent out earlyer today and I will post the responce when or if I get them.

I am a voter concerned with the Sunday hunting issue. Is this not an issue separating church and state? Our children can not pray in our public schools because we must separate church and state but we are not allowed to hunt our own land.
With each passing year we loose more hunters to laboring states with no Sunday hunting ban. I have hunted in Kentucky the last few years because of this reason. I spend roughly $160.00 on non-resident permits alone. Several of my friends hunt other states also but I know of very few out of state hunters who hunt here because of this "blue law"

I have read reports stating Virginians are opposed to Sunday hunting. I am active in my community and have spoken to many people concerning this topic and have had no negative responses.
This law is as ridicules as hunters wanting a no church on Wednesday or no lawn work on Friday. Can you explain the difference?
Is there any chance this law will be repealed in the near future? Will it take all the sportsman in Virginia speaking on election day? Will petitions signed by voters help? Civil rights lawsuit?
Please let us know what is needed before this can take place.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Sunday hunting in Virginia

Sprintflyer....

Oh, don't get me started again... Everyone knows my feelings toward the stupid, asinine, no Sunday hunting ban! [:@]

I learned of two very powerful forces here in VA regarding keeping the ban on Sunday hunting very much alive. Who are they, you ask?
Pat Robertson out of VA Beach and Jerry Falwell out of Lynchburg. Their 27 gazillion dollar net incomes can sway any voter and most importantly, the house and senate.

I can just hear it now.... "Hunting on Sunday you say? No, no, no, good heavens no... Thou must park thy butt in a church pew andlisten to the word - oh and also put some dollars in the dish, 'cause I need more money...." [:-][&o]
Old 08-26-2005, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to plink $160 down this weekend so I can also go Sunday hunting in KY (not to mention the bow season starts next weekend there). Hey maybe it's KY that's lobbying to have no Sunday hunting in WV and VA. They are reaping the benefits
Old 08-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually think the ban has a chance of being lifted one day. Afterall, crossbows were allowed and I would have never expectedthat to happen. I wouldeven support allowing hunting after say, 1 pm on Sundays. I think the best thing to do is to remain vocal and persistent. The deer herd in VAcontinues togrow and the habitat is shrinking so I feel the season is going to have to be lengthened eventually to control the herd. I wouldlike to see hunting on Sunday allowed and I would also like to see an earlier bow season opener.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

Hey maybe it's KY that's lobbying to have no Sunday hunting in WV and VA. They are reaping the benefits
Good point! Hope I get a shot at one of there elk wandering across the state line this year! SWEET REVENGE! LOL!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:53 AM

GOOD LUCK SPRINT

Wont happen but good luck. I agree i think it sucks but it will not change. its a commonwealth blue law that will hold its ground. it would make it better to open sunday hunting for the control of deer populations but then again it would be better if the state took away buck tags for a couple years also. that would control the population better but i dont see the state changing its stand on the sunday thing.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

I live in a county where they took our private land DOE tags last year! They are so thick around my hunting area that cars hit them at least a couple times a week. The game warden lives 2 houses down from me and has tried to explain this with no luck. He said he hopes they will fix it next year but we are wellover our carrying numbers now.

I live on the VA/KY state line so I hunt Kentucky on Sundays and here thru the week. I can be on my stand in KY faster than my VA stand but most Virginia hunters are not as fourtunate as I am in this reguard.

SF
Old 08-28-2005, 08:01 PM

The lack of Sunday hunting is not going to go away soon. There are several problems in Virginia that are going to be issues for Sunday hunting to go away. First of all they are going to have to create a ban on hound hunting on Sunday if they are going to repeal it.Second, they are going to have to have more money to manage the game they do have and pay more officers to work on harder on Sunday. Third, religion is still a large factor in Virginia and this is the bible belt, so people are going to have to get it on the ballot for the general election before it will be repealed.

Sprint I personally hope you are kidding about the ELK, I think it is a damn shame what Virginia is doing because some ego's got bent out of shape when Kentucky released them on the border. It is a travesty that Virginia is not working to manage the herd and have it grow into an economic benefit for the citizens of Virginia. All of the Elk released in Pennsylvania, North Carolina, and Kentucky are bringing much needed tourism and hunting dollars into the communities in those states and Virginia is missing the boat.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: CTOGuide

It is a travesty that Virginia is not working to manage the herd and have it grow into an economic benefit for the citizens of Virginia.
Hell $12.50 for an elk tag...that is an economic benefit for this Virginian!

Lay em down Sprint...
Old 08-30-2005, 06:44 AM

You guys still squabbling about the Sunday thing I see. I am not going there again let the cards fall where they may. Good Luck

Now about the Elk screw the economic impact, The elk is a native species and should be here Period... if someone is claiming they scared of CWDthats BS andI believe that our George Washington National Forest and surrounding valleys could support them even.

Quick Reply: Sunday hunting in Virginia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.