South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

Bear in VA

Old 07-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bear in VA

I'm interested in doing a bear hunt in SW VA this fall but don't know much about bear hunting. Anyone here have any experience? I would appreciate it if you would e-mail me at [email protected]and I could pick your brain...
Old 07-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Bear in VA

I live in southwest Va. What part are you from and what do you need to know?

SF
Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

I am looking to do some bear hunting with a bow this year myself... I have never bear hunted and they are few and far between around the area I hunt... so anyone got any siggestions on places to go for them in Va??
Old 07-29-2005, 08:29 AM

I am from Richlands Virginia and the bear population is actually getting pretty thick. The best way to do it is either with dogs or find a fresh snow and track on down. Most people use dogs
Old 07-29-2005, 12:26 PM

In Va. throw your Bow away unless you are going to bait and that is Illegal in Virginia! We run'em with Dogs and that is still tough...Tough to find a track. Get a rifle and head for Rockingham County if you want a chance.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

I HUNT IN FAUQUIER COUNTY --only 4 miles from warren county and see bear all the time. however , i didnt see any during the 4 day blackpowder season that is statewide. i did see 3 bearsthe day after that 4 day season closed. came right by my stand in bp range. go figure.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:45 PM

Hi,

Go west to the Mountains or down to the Dismal Swamp area. Find natural funnels,rivers ,streams and then find their seasonal food sources. I have done alot of homework and found a pretty good area in Amherst county that I will try my luck at this fall.Page county is another good bet .I have seen bear in both of those counties.Go to the VGIF website and get the stats for the past few seasons of where the bears have been harvested and start from there.Amherst doesnt allow dogs thats why I chose that county .This will be my first year hunting bear in Va.I previously hunted and guided hunts in Michigan .Hunting techniques differ greatly down here.We were allowed to bait and use dogs .Good Luck finding yourself a bear,

Mike