Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > South
 For The Texans >

For The Texans

South VA, KY, AR, TN, OK, TX, LA, MS, AL, FL, NC, SC, GA

For The Texans

Old 05-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default For The Texans

Okay i know i seem to change my mind where i am moving to but decided on Texas sometime next year. I'm just getting ideas of some places to consider. It was also depend on if i get this job as a correctional officer so maybe i could get a transfer to whatever town. Just need some places in mind, thanks
Old 05-29-2005, 08:45 PM

Default RE: For The Texans

move to huntsville or conroe. both nice places to live and within driving distance to alot of NICE hunting spots and the city.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Where in the state are those places at?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:54 PM

Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice has over 100 units, some are in really sorry places, some decent and some actually nice.
East and Southeast Texas are the nicest places to live, it does rain, grass does grow and the trees are tall, there are also several Fed forests and a number of State Wildlife Management Areas, these have differing rules, but most are accessable cheaply and do have both small and big game hunting as well as fishing, camping and hiking.
TDCJ is not really a very nice place to work, a lot of BS, does have pretty good benefits and a decent wage, if you are not a really high liver, has a very good retirement plan.
I spent 10 years at the end of my working life with them, almost all the time in construction and construction inspection or supervising, had to spend the last 2 years on a unit in maintenance, due to a bunch of budget cutting rifs, that was really sorry, but I hung in and now have a total retirement package of more per month than I was drawing working and have my health ins. free for life, as well as 1/2 of my wife's health ins.
A really sorry place to work if having to work on a unit as a correctional officer or in unit maintenance.
It is a living though.
Don
Old 06-01-2005, 07:56 PM

conroe is just outside houston (north), and huntsville is about i dunno 100-120miles north of houston on HWY 45 between Houston and Dallas. Personally I would choose closer to Houston (if your single) as there is more goin on. I live outside Beaumont Texas, and I drive all over to hunt. There is a prison in Port Aruther also. That would be a nice area for the wife/kids. You could live in nederland, port aruther, beaumont, vidor, and still be within driveing distance from teh prison.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 PM

if you want to live within decent driving distance from the best whitetail deer hunting in the world (my oppinion) move to san antonio. There aint nothing like south texas. I personally live in houston and i still drive 6 hours to hunt every week during deer season.
I really do not know of any good public land hunting in texas worth looking into. Everything is done on private land. Austin is also an awesome place.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I live in san antonio and its a great place, housing cheap compared to other places cost of living is pretty low. but the best part is san antone is still small compared to houston or dallas, traffic aint bad at all. 30 minutes in any direction and your in the country.
1 hour either way and your in prime hunting areas. south is the brush country, where some of the biggest bucks are killed every year, awsome whitail country.north is the hill country where we have the highest population of deer anywhere in the US. west is a combo of brush and hills, plenty a hogs everywhere, east isnt as good but still good compared to most places. the hustle and bustle isnt here like other cities, it's pretty melow. I dont like the houston area just to busy for me, dallas is even worse. I like it here.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: texhookem

I really do not know of any good public land hunting in texas worth looking into.
Have you entered or gone as standby on any of the TP&W drawing hunts?
We do the stanby on the youth hunts and get chosen everytime. But they era usually limited to spike, doe, hog & javeline. still a blast for me and the kids. get to hunt south texas for free. we have limited out everytime so far.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 AM

When i say public land hunting is not very good in Texas, I am speakingcomparitively towhat there is in other states. You got a pretty small chance of shooting agood buck on one of those public land hunts from what i hear. A ranch hand on my lease told me he tried it one time, just to try it and that it wasreally crowded and people were shooting that the first thing that moved. If you want to hunt Texas, id say you pretty much have to hunt private land if your looking for a good buck.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Try a transfer to Gatesville prison, its centraly located in the state, if I remeber right there shifts are 4 days on 4 days off, and you could live in Austin...or Waco..

Quick Reply: For The Texans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.