Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Snareing?

Old 03-16-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Snareing?

I was just wondering how snareing worked. I know that they have banned it here in maine due to the fact the antis say that we cant be sure what were getting. Is there a certian kind of wire?

If someone could post a pic of some snares even full ones so I could get an idea on how they work I would apreicate it. Thanks ahead.

Andy
Old 03-16-2005, 07:46 PM

Default RE: Snareing?

here try looking at this

Old 03-16-2005, 07:52 PM

What does the deer stop do? Does it actually stop you from snareing deer?
Old 03-16-2005, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

It don't allow them to close tight enough to choke game or to hold a deer by the leg.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Thanks OHBowhunter, I thought the point of snareing was to kill the animails by strangleing them. Do the snares kill them or just hold them?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 AM

yes but you put them low enough that the deer cant get there head in them and they only get there foot in them and that stops it from getting tight on the leg so they canget out
Old 03-17-2005, 06:52 PM

Ok thanks. I wasnt sure if they were ment to kill or just hold.

What do you use for wire is there a special kind or will panio wire work ok?
Old 03-18-2005, 07:28 AM

I use aircraft cable and the loop is about 14 inches diameter. I set my snares 12-14 inches offf the ground and blend it in well with twigs and grass.

Snares are meant to kill the animal intended to catch, the coyote slides his head through the loop and feels resistance, so he bolts to the end of the wire, and it tightens immediately, killing the animal very quickly, much more humane i find, thats why i love using snares. Good luck andyo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2005, 05:51 PM

andy-o...you dont have to make them bud. you can buy them cheap right off the net. IMO thompson snare company makes the best snare on the marked. check out their site. also, get heavy cable and the longer the wire the better.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:10 AM

Try the www.snareshop.com they have everything you could need. You can make your own as I do or you can buy'em by the dozen or bulk.

Till our trails cross,

Ryan