Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squirrel Scouting

Old 03-05-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Squirrel Scouting

Does anyone scout for squirrels in the off season??
Old 03-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Default RE: Squirrel Scouting

I don't because the place I go is full of them. If you are going to, look for an oak tree with crunched acorns.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks..... we don't have any oak tree's around here
Old 03-05-2005, 01:34 PM

Do you have an AIM screen name?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a great question

you obviously want to be a dedicated hunter. Just pick a nice day (especcially after a few severe weather days in a row) and go out. Take a book and a pair of binocs and your dog (if you have one) for fun and a lazy day in the woods you intend to hunt. You should see them if they're in there. Also--bark around the bases of potential den trees will be worn down from them jumping up on the trees---good luck

you're the man--one of my favorite questions I've ever seen

let us know what happens
Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

you don,t need to scout for squirrels if there are oaks there and squirrel nest then there are going to be squirrels there not matter what. all you need to do is to practice with your gun and wait till season and go get them little rascals. Good Luck but probably scouting is not a bad idea i never have but might give it a try and maybe found new deer sign also
Old 03-11-2005, 03:06 PM

Y'know, this really inspired me to do something. Usually my strategy for squirrels is with a 10 round semi auto .22 charging through the woods only to stop/unload clip at squirrel/take squirrel/ and continue this rampage.

I think this summer I'll go pick me out a real good space, with plenty of mast trees, set up a good natural blind and build a shooting bench so I can work on 100 yard shots with a .22 some...Actually it'd be pretty cool.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:46 PM

ya find a good place in da woods were you see a lot of squirrels and set up a blind that you can keep up forever (and keep it well hidden!) P.S what do you hunt with for squirrels??

A.Pellet Gun
B.22 (any caliber)
C.17 HMR
D. Bow&Arrow
Old 03-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

.22s and .17s will both work alnog with .22 magnum

I grew up huntin them with a .410 shotgun-single shot---I think that would help build your hunting skill
Old 03-11-2005, 06:42 PM

Never had a need to scout for squirrels. I always just went to their food source and looked for them. You didn't say where you're from. But I assume you have some kind of hardwood's around your area. Look for beachnut, walnuts, oak, pecan, any of the trees that bear nuts and you'll find plenty of squirrels. Also keep an eye open for their nests. Another place to check for squirrels is an area of the woods next to crop fields like corn. Always a great spot for tree rats.

Quick Reply: Squirrel Scouting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.