Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 3-rd tournament on shooting marmots in Russia >

3-rd tournament on shooting marmots in Russia

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

3-rd tournament on shooting marmots in Russia

Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default 3-rd tournament on shooting marmots in Russia

Dear hunters. Your qualified help in preparation for tournament is necessary for me.
I shall tell some words and I shall show a photo. These are photos of the last tournaments.
On the second tournament I was the captain "Huntclub". We have acted not so successfully. We have not so good guns.
On photo Nightforce 12-42x56 Mannlicher SSG in 243 calibre. The best shot 455 yd. Hit in a head.
Only 6 result in personal offset. I have desire to get 6.5-284. whether Tell correctly it?
Where it is possible to buy such calibre and where it is better to order the equipment and components for relouding?
Whether who can help me. From its part, I can include the person in my command. It is not expensive.
Participation will cost approximately 350 $ for four days including a meal and all charges with transfers on Russia from Moscow to camp.
Can write to me in other part?

Old 03-02-2005, 03:04 PM

Default RE: 3-rd tournament on shooting marmots in Russia

well just keep shooting and practicing and u will get better
Old 03-02-2005, 04:30 PM

If that is a "not so good gun" I would love to see a good gun Those Nightforce scopes are very very nice. The 6.5x284Norma is not real common around here. If you want to try this site, http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/index.php they will know about the 6.5X284. They will also know who makes good ones. They may be able to help you about reloading equipment and recipes. Good luck!
Old 03-04-2005, 02:36 AM
Fork Horn

It agree optics normal. But the cartridge is rather weak.
Thank for the address of snipers.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

thats a pretty nice looking rifle you have, and night force makes a really nice scope but are too expensive for me to afford. I think europeans are a little misinformed and have the wrong idea, not all americans have SAKO rifles and Swarovski scopes. for most of us we can only afford remington rifles and simmons and bushnell scopes and maybe leupolds if we are a little more fortunate. Just because we are American it doesnt mean we are rich with endless amounts of money to spend.

The 243 is not a bad long range varmint caliber, if i were you i would research it some more I dont know what powders you have access to but the right powder/bullet combination should give you plenty of down range energy for 400 to 500 meter shots. I use a savage model 12 varminter in 22-250 caliber with a bushnell banner 4-12x40mm and find my handloads to be plenty powerful for coyotes even as far as 600 meters. My handload is a 50 grain V-max over 36 grains of hodgdon H4895, through my chronograph its pushing and average velocity of 3,754 fps the estimated muzzle energy is 1540 ft lbs. at 500 meters I estimate the energy is around 500 ft lbs still which is more then enough hit to take a coyote down.

If you can get hodgdon powders I would take a look at their website for some load data http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/index.php

I looked at some 6.5-284 load data , to be dead honest that cartridge wont give you any real advantage over a 243. You would be better off with a 6.5x55mm swedish over the 6.5-284 cartridge. Id look at the 250/3000 savage or 257 roberts those two have a real advantage over a 243 without getting into the large game cartridges. But I dont know what you can get there is russia. honestly i would just stick with the 243.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:07 PM

fine looking set up there... personally I'd stick with what you have... go with a 75gr bullet for the long range shooting... if not are you looking for a new rifle or are you getting that one rebarreled?... would you have any problems getting the gun through customs on your end?...
Old 03-05-2005, 03:09 AM
Fork Horn

The customs is a problem. I shall agree with gun shop where it will be possible to send.
The equipment for relouding without problems to sent on a home address.
Bullets and brass are sent similarly.
Powder and caps I shall buy in Finland and I shall bring by train.
It seems to me, that the bullet 100 gr is better It shifts a wind less and it is better ballistic factor.
J40 .243-100 grain Ballistic Coefficient: .565
http://www.lostriverballistic.com/LR...how.cfm?CNum=1
Old 03-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know of the lost river ballistics company, when it comes to long range technology those guys deffinately have it to a science, but they are quite pricy I thought of using the j40's in my 308 but the bullets are nearly a dollar for one single pill. pretty expensive but suppose when it comes to winning a competition no price is to much if it means winning. good luck