Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

trap line

Old 02-17-2005, 06:32 PM

Default trap line

me and my friend wanna start a trap line for every thing squirles to bobcat what is the best traps where is the best place to put them in the mnts. of vermont and what kinda bait should i use?

Old 02-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Default RE: trap line

Check your local laws on trapping and what animals you can trap.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:43 AM

I am mostly into fox and coyote trapping. If you have coyotes where you are going to trapping it is a good idea to double stake all your foot holds with at least 24 inch stakes 3' is better.

Use 2 1/2 to 3 double coil spring trapps.

a smaller trap will get them but they'll pull out unless caught good. Make a dirt hole set and just above the hole about maybe 6" to a foot take a squirle tail and stick it in the ground so it is sticking straight up. It will twich in the wind and they can't resist going over to take a look.

Good Luck
Old 02-22-2005, 01:22 AM

an all round good trap is a 1 1/2 coilspring trap .... and they will hold up to yotes and beaver sized animals altho i wouldnt use that small of trap to go after them ...altho i have caught and held both ..... for squirrel, rabbit, mink, muskrat, coon, oppossum, etc i would go with the #1 1/2 ...... for fox, yotes, cats i would go with a 1 3/4 offset coilspring (but ya have to get the cats paw centred on the pan or ya may have alot of misses or toe catches .... have a pretty big foot) ...... for otter and beaver id go with #3 - #5 coil or longspring ...... as far as the bodygrips ..... 110 -120 for the smaller critters ...... 220 - 280 for the medium sized critters and otter ..... and 330 for beaver ..... but like somebody mentioned ... make sure ya check ya regulations ...... and if ya think ya may catch a domestic animal or even a person dont set the traps or learn how to set in those situations before tryin to trap that area .... enough people after the trappers as it is .... if people would learn what to do and what not to do we wouldnt be in such a stink now
Old 02-25-2005, 04:23 PM

thx do u hunt or trap in vermont and if so where?
Old 02-25-2005, 04:36 PM

ya welcome ....and no never in vermont