Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Skunk??

Old 01-28-2005, 08:52 AM

Default Skunk??

What's the best way to get rid of a skunk that's running around my neighborhood? I want to get rid of it before it sprays or bites my dogs or daughter.

Thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2005, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Skunk??

Sit out on the front porch with a beer and a .22 and wait. Thats basicly what I would do.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:57 AM
KCB

I have trouble with skunks at my place and not much time during the weekdays to sit out and wait on 'em. Those "live catch" traps with a can of tuna in them work really well. They also work well on my barn cat, so if you have cats you might need to put them up.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use a live trap. Once you catch it shoot it before you try to move it! Don't move it in the cage alive it will spray you!! Shoot it in the head with a .22 pistol and it will usually not be able to spray. Then you can bury it or whatever. ect.
Old 01-28-2005, 10:51 PM

I'd say go with the live trap and a quarter stick of dynamit under the trap. Works for cats too. [8D]
Old 02-21-2005, 12:27 PM

My boss has a live trap that I can borrow and I have 17HMR that should do a pretty good job at rearranging his brain. Maybe I'll get lucky and catch that stupid cat that keeps leaving tracks all over the hood of my truck! Thanks for the input!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:17 PM

they make an alive trap just for skunks. it is a low profile cage. the skunk can not spray if he can not lift his tail. this is what the game wardens use.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: green01

the skunk can not spray if he can not lift his tail.
Not true. I'd always believed that one, too, until I took a direct hit from one under a belly mower.[:'(][:@][:'(] Also, NOTHING takes the smell away. I tried tomato juice, vinegar, gasoline, etc. After a couple hours, my sense of smell was pretty much use to it, so it didn't bother me anymore. Although everyone else seemed to think I stunk for about a week or 10 days.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:08 AM

put a large black trash bag over your live catch trap... just leave the entrance open... after you catch the little stinker pull the bag closed over the end... gently move him to the rear of your car, place the opening around the exhaust pipe and fire that mother up... make a small slit in the bottom of the bag to release the build up of gasses but in 15 minutes it's all over... no smell, problem's solved... everyones happy but Peppe...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 AM

we have used this style of trap at are church and have never been sprayed yet. there is one product that does work real well. you can get it from your vet. it is called SKUNK-OFF. comes in a small white bottle. when our dogs take a spray you wet them down with this stuff and let it sit about five minutes then towel dry. if you can smell the skunk after this you have just missed a spot. repeat the process and it works real well. i have used tomato juice, vinegar and all the old cures but never had any luck. try the skunk off you will be surprized.

Quick Reply: Skunk??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.