Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Pelt Question!

Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Pelt Question!

Hey guys everywhere I have read tey have skinned the coyote keeping the pelt in the tube shape and not split the bottom at all to lay it flat out, my question is are you supposed to keep it like that and if so how do you stretch it? And also I have seen where people cut of the tail and head with the pelt and later remove the inside of the head and tail after, how do you do this? Can you just cut a slit along the bottom of the tail and peel it off? Thanks a lot guys, Spence.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pelt Question!

Goose, most guys that sell the pelts to a fur buyer, tube them for a couple of reasons. For one it is easy. Two, it makes it easy to flesh them and strectch them. For stretching, there are pelt stretchers that go inside of the fleshed tube and adjust to put tension on the hide that is turned inside out. In other words, they flesh with the fur inside, then simply run the stretcher inside and adjust it to fit firmly, and then let the skin dry. As far as getting the tail bone out, there is what is called a tail stripper, that simply allows a guy to skin very little of the tail bone, the stripper goes around the bone, and you pull and the rest of the tail bone out of the hide. When a guy tubes a coyote, you also pull the hide right over the head, it is best to have the lips, nose, eye lids, and ears still attach to the pelt. Don't ask me why fur buyers what it all, but they do! Hope that answered your question!!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:52 PM

Default RE: Pelt Question!

Thanks a lot I appreciate it but I still don't understand the tail part