Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 help me with trapping/and yote hunting >

help me with trapping/and yote hunting

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

help me with trapping/and yote hunting

Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default help me with trapping/and yote hunting

anybody have any tips for coyote hunting and for trapping yotes beaver and fox? i have never done any before and me and a friend are going to start in about a month just want to get some info before i go out and make mistakes that could have been avoided.

thanks in advance,
Shootem
Old 01-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help me with trapping/and yote hunting

I just started trapping myself and I've talked to alot of old timers trying to get some tips. This is what I've come away with.

Coyotes: Use snares rather than leg hold traps. Saturate an area with many snares in every travelway. Everyone I've talked to has had success doing this as opposed to leg holds

Foxes: make sets at along fence lines.

I haven't learned much about beaver trapping so no dice there.

hope this little bit helps.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

I used to do a lot of coyote and fox trapping and had quite a bit of luck. I used to run my lines about 4 in the morning before work. At one stop I got out of the vehicle and turned on the light and shined it out in the field where my sets were and there were 3 sets of eyes staring back at me. I came out of that field with 2 red fox and 1 coyote that morning. My best two sets were the dirt hole set and the straw bale set. These two sets caught more fox and yotes than any other. Learn how to set them and conceal your traps, eliminate your odor and you'll have good luck. Beware, you will catch the neighbors dog or cat if there are any around. That is why I didn't use snares. I had good luck with Victor #2 leg holds.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

what do you use to bait the yotes/foxes so they step on the trap? how do you do it?
Old 01-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

You can buy different baits and lures or you can make them yourself. I did a search on Google and found this link. [link]http://www.murrayslures.com/[/link] Type in trapping supplies and you can find more. Basically with the dirt hole set you dig a hole about 2" in diameter at a steep angle about 4" deep. Put the bait at the bottom of the hole. Set the trap in front of the hole and cover it well with a fine layer of dry dirt. The object is to have the hole slanted enough to make the fox or coyote step close to look into the hole and when he does he will step on the pan of the trap. You can place a few sticks around the hidden trap and leave the area over the trap clear. Most predators are very quiet and do not step on sticks that will make noise. Go to Amazon.com and check out the selection of trapping books. Good luck.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:14 PM

for beaver just set slides and holes and for fox and yotes just set where they been running or a trail they have. good luck
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

First, are you over 18? If you are, no problem. If not, then you need to take a Trapper Education Course before you can get a license. (I highly recommend this course if you've never trapped before, it teaches all the basics including fur handling)

Keep in mind too that fox and coyote trapping season ends tomorrow (Jan. 20) in the state of IL. Beaver season lasts until March 31st.

I have a bunch of old trapper and predator caller mags if you want 'em. Lots of info in there.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some buddies in IL who are master trappers. They run Trappers World magazine and Kaatz Lures. You may be able to contact them through the IL trapping association I'm sure they will be glad to help you out.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

amanita,
nope im only 16. i am aware that i have to take a trapper education course. i called dnr tonight and left a message and hope to get a response tomorrow. yes i know that the yote/fox season ends tomorrow. i planned on trapping beaver until march 31st if i could take the class before then.

how much would it cost to send some mags?

brutal attack,
do your friends have a site?
Old 01-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

also does anyone have any tips at all for yote hunting? anything i need to do the first time out thats a rookie mistake. hope to go this weekend if i can find out some more.

Quick Reply: help me with trapping/and yote hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.