Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit hunting

Old 12-14-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Rabbit hunting

What kind of cover are rabbits hiding in this time of year????????
Old 12-14-2004, 06:41 PM

Default RE: Rabbit hunting

i a bit new to it but i would say brush piles and fence lines and field lines with long grass because they hunker down in the grass when you walk by so you must run them out well thats how it is in wisconsin

reply with what happened please
Old 12-15-2004, 05:34 AM
Typical Buck

HI Guys!

Rabbits are complicated little devils. Depending on where you are, they key on different food sources, but here are a few general tips for finding them. Rabbits eat LOTs of bark from small trees. Here in MO, if you look for small stands of sumac with cover nearby, you'll find rabbits. You can tell rabbits are thick in an area if you look at the bases of these trees. The will chew the bark off all over as high as they can reach. It looks kinda like somebody took a file and scraped all over the bottom of the tree. The second thing to look for is open cover. Rabbits have to digest everything they eat twice. They feed on the tree bark and then, they find a place they can sit and wait for the food to "process". This usually happens to be somewhere the rabbit feels safe, but allows him to soak up the sun while he waits for the food to pass through him. As he warms with the sun, he digests the food and then , naturally poops it out. They will then eat the poo, (I know it sounds nasty)
because it's now in a more digestible state. This all takes a little while, hence the rabbit's need for open cover. Last but not least, get yourself a beagle. They are bred to find the bunny and bring him back to you.

GH
Old 12-16-2004, 04:27 PM

Sumac thickets are a good place to look. Here in western OK we've had a lot of luck around plum thickets, especially when there is a cattle guard around. Places where people stack round bales are good places as well.(also a great place to start young hounds) You definitely need to get a beagle...best dogs ever in my opinion.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:49 PM

thick briars usually hold a few rabbits.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:05 PM

look for a thick patch of cover that isnt too big and their will be rabbits in there
Old 12-18-2004, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The thickets stuff you can find!!
Old 12-23-2004, 04:44 PM

the thickest garbage around.....there all white now and theres no snow yet soo they stick out like a sore thumb where i hunt em