Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Worth a try!

Old 12-13-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Worth a try!

I'm come from a family of sheep producers. So, its no surprise that we have tremendous trouble with coyotes throughout the year. While away at school, my uncle informed me that a government trapper had visited to try and thin out the coyote population. The trapper hadn't left our farm for more than 30 minutes when he returned with two coyotes, one male and one female. Here's where it gets interesting. After calling for a while the trapper noticed the two yotes headed his way. However, they hung up just out of range and refused to come any closer. So, he released a small terrier that took off in the yote's general direction. Upon doing so, the female yote immediately headed towards the little dog. After shooting her, the trapper then released a larger hound who then raced towards the downed female. This must have hit a chord with the male yote because he too raced towards the dog only to fall to the same fate. Has anyone else heard of hunting being done this way? I've heard of greyhounds being used to chase coyotes down, but I've never heard of dogs being used to lure coyotes in.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:18 PM

Default RE: Worth a try!

Yeah, i've heard of it, saw it on a hunting show a few years back but can't remember which show it was. Did this guy happen to say what happens if he misses, do the yote attack the dog?
Old 12-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are a few guys that use this method, and it is very effective.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

It works, just don't tell anyone why you want to borrow their dog!
Old 12-14-2004, 04:06 AM

N T that is funny! if i put a cotton ball on my brothers Chihuahua it would look like some kind of sick rabbit. would this work????lol!!!
Old 12-14-2004, 04:18 AM

I saw this on an outdoors show. The dog was trained to go out and get the coyote to chase him, then head back to the shooter. I have thought about caging a housecat for coyotes, but in Missouri, this would be considered using live bait..which is illegal.