Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 .22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s >

.22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s

Old 12-08-2004, 03:38 PM

Default .22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s

I saw a post about why it seems people keep asking if they'll take out a coyote and thought I'd shed some light why, then ask a question.

Here in the East, almost exclusively, they only allow coyote hunting with either .22 rimfire or a shotgun. Day or night in many areas. If a .22 is so insufficient for taking coyotes, then why would it be 1 of the 3 legal hunting methods in our area? I have shot and killed coyotes with a .22. I would love to use my .223 on them but can't legally, but since I prefer the accuracy of the .22 for shots under 50 yards, in comparison to a shotgun, which I have also used with success, I hunt with them.

So for those who think it is not enough gun, would you hunt coyotes if that was all you were allowed. For those that think a shotgun is better, why wouldn't you want 1 more accurate and deadly shot vs a spray?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s

If a .22 is so insufficient for taking coyotes, then why would it be 1 of the 3 legal hunting methods in our area?
I'd guess for safety reason's!
I have shot and killed coyotes with a .22.
How many have you shot with the .22 lr. and at what ranges, what shot placement, and how many have you lost that you hit? Honestly!
So for those who think it is not enough gun, would you hunt coyotes if that was all you were allowed. For those that think a shotgun is better, why wouldn't you want 1 more accurate and deadly shot vs a spray?
Yes I would and I would use a shotgun because with 4 buck, I have several lethal pellets, 3" has 41 I believe, so the odds of hitting the coyote in the boiler room just got much better and the shotgun will flat lay a coyote out, loaded with 3" 4 buck, out to 45 yards on a broadside shot. Coyotes don't stand around much when called, so the chances of a moving target are high, so with a "spray" of lethal pellets, chances are better for a quick kill!
By the way, I've shot a few coyotes with a .22 lr too, years ago. Most were in a trap, but one in particular I shot while rabbit hunting. Hit him in the boiler room and if it weren't for the snow on the ground, I never would've found him because he ran about 150 yards before piling up, and I honestly didn't even no that I had hit him.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:09 PM

Personally, I think that a .22 is too light for yotes. I would never use it. That is my opinion.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

keep it to head shots at around 50 yards a .22 lr will do the job, but it is buy no means the optimal gun for the job.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MA Jay

First, let me say it blows my mind that you can't use a real gun on coyotes. That would be a major annoyance for me. But as far as accuracy and deadly, I think a shotgun beats a .22 hands down. A good shotgun is as accurate as a .22, and can be much more deadly. Not to say I haven't used a .22 on everything from rabbits to hogs, but they don't make larger animals drop in their tracks all that often. Even some of the coons I shot around the barn don't drop over immediately. They still kick and wiggle and squirm and sometimes run a little ways.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:25 AM

As far as shotgun vs .22 , we are limited to non buck shot size loads, I think #2's or #4's .. and I have rolled 2 coyotes with #2's and they both made it 100+ yards, 1 shot at 25 yards, the other at 35.

For the record I agree the .22 is not the best caliber, but I have shot several coyotes, 8 I think, with my .22, 1 of them wasn't recovered. I have found the velocitors to be an adequate round for killing a coyote, head on shots the center of the neck just below the jaw, and broad side shots through the vitals or where the head meets the neck. I use the same discipline I use in archery and hold off the shot till I know I have a good one. The 1 not recovered ran into a swamp, and I believe subemerged at least partially. It was a single shot through the vitals. 5 of those 8 dropped like a stone. 4 of them were spine shots through the throat, 2 kills were through the boiler room .. 1 of those were 3 through the chest. Except for the one which made a swamp, none travelled more than 20 yards.

I also hunt with a .223, and to be honest, have seen almost the same exact performance from the .22 in lethality as the .223, just the range of the hunt is much greater. I don't think it is accurate to say that a .22 is not enough gun for coyotes, I think the real answer is that some hunters are not capable of being lethal with a .22. They either can't limit themselves to shots within a certain range, or do not take the time to become pin point accurate with their weapon. Those people should not use .22's as they require more room for error due to either lack of patience, discpline or shooting ability. Not bragging, but I lack none of those qualities and find the .22 a very efficient coyote killer.

My point is not to advocate hunting with .22's, but if you are stuck with the choice between a .22 and a shotgun, and can hit a quarter 10 out of 10 times at 50 yards, and will pass on marginal shots .. don't think for a second you can't hunt and kill coyotes.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

we are limited to non buck shot size loads, I think #2's or #4's
Hmm. Why such strict limits? It sounds like the legislature doesn't even want you to hunt coyotes.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM

Here in this part of the East, in NY we can use any rifle in centerfire (as long as you are not in a shotgun only area for deer hunting and a deer season is open) or rimfire at night for Predators. We can also use a shotgun with any shot size.
A .22 rimfire will kill a Coyote. It will even kill a deer and it will even kill a large cow! Think about this though: You know about a 32 point buck that is coming out in an apple orchard every night at the same time. If a .22 rimfire is legal to shoot deer with would you take your's out to shoot this buck? Remember that it will drop him in his tracks if you hit him right. Remember also that it will, and even more often wack him and he will run off never to be seen again. Its not a matter if they will kill a Coyote, its a matter of how many do you want to lose? If you are limited, pick the shotgun. You will collect many more Coyotes!
Tim
Old 12-09-2004, 03:25 PM

for those asking about recovery of yotes ...what do you do with them? we usually just let them lay?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

jroot, the pelts are worth some money, not a lot, but it helps pay for the habit.
Hey MAJay, if you got time, why don't you Email your local Department of Wildlife and ask them directly why it is that you are limited on which gun you can use to hunt coyotes. I'd be interested in the answer, as I'm sure you would be too! I am curious if it has to do with poaching, they figure that by only allowing small shot and rim fires, that they are also limiting the poachers ability to do what they do, just a guess though! Let us know what you find out!

Quick Reply: .22 for Coyotes, a reason for their ?'s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.