Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 discouraged youth squirrel hunter!!! please help!!! >

discouraged youth squirrel hunter!!! please help!!!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

discouraged youth squirrel hunter!!! please help!!!

Old 10-17-2004, 02:13 AM

Default discouraged youth squirrel hunter!!! please help!!!

well, last week was my son's first hunt ever when the PGC had an early squirrel hunt for kids 12-16 years-old. he got to see one squirrel all day long!! this week squirrel season started for everyone in PA and once again we headed out to the woods. we didn't see ONE SQUIRREL!!!! i tried several different spots and i've never had trouble finding squirrels in the past. i don't know what's going on this year with the squirrel population but the boy is getting discouraged and i must admit a small part of me is too. i tried to explain that the windy weather conditions has a lot to do with it but he's not really enjoying this too awful much. i'm affraid that if i take him out again and don't see anything, he will HATE hunting for good!!! i'm really worried about that!!! a youth deer season starts this thursday, should i wait till then to take him back in the woods???
Old 10-17-2004, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: discouraged youth squirrel hunter!!! please help!!!

Well in windy conditions the squirrels tend to stay in their nests, wait untill a nice calm day then take your boy out. Also what time of the day are you hunting? Squirrels are most active early in the morning from sunrise till about noon, mid day it is still possible to see some but then from 3 pm till sunset is when they are really active. I've killed most of my squirrels about an hour and a half before sunset. I've had days where I didnt see any all day then limited out in the last 15 minutes of day light. If you can try to find some squirrel hunting videos, try to help your son understand that hunting is a skilled sport and not to be detered from a unsucessful hunt but to reflect on what you can do differently next time to make your hunt more sucessful. one of the biggest keys to hunting is alot of scouting learn the area and the times of day the animals are most active books and videos can help in aquiring techniques, you cant just go in the woods expecting to kill your quarry you have to understand them first, even squirrel.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Try looking on stumps and fallen trees for signs that squirrels have been there

acorn peaces and look for squirrel nests.

I have seen 25 to 30 squirrels at a time migrating from one patch of woods to another.

Look to see if the area you are in has forage for the squirrels.

Squirrels move from one wood lot to another one looking for food or more tasty food.

Some squirrel food is here today and gone tomorow so they will move a lot.

Tell your son shooting animals is not all there is to hunting ,
Just being together with each other and experencing nature is what its about.
Spending quility time together because when they grow up it
There child hood will be gone for ever!

Good Luck.

Old 10-17-2004, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tell ur son 2 stick with it. Yesterday weather conditions stunk for squirrels to windy. Wait till a calm day and go sit by a stand of acorns with some big den tree's he's sure to see some. I only saw 5 yesterday in a spot i normally see atleast 10 in. Dont get discouraged just keep after it! best of luck.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:07 AM

thanks
Old 10-20-2004, 01:36 PM

I was bowhunting a few days ago and it was windy very very windy and i still saw over 20 squirrel but there were all on the ground. so even if it is windy they still have to eat but it will not be as good hunting as it would be if it was a calm day. I all the squirrel i have killed this year were on a calm day.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:12 PM

to tell u the truth i went squirrel hunting in the rain and the wind was blowing i seen 3
squirrels i shot at them and miss them i want to tell u there are out there
just walk around a little and look up in the trees and look on the ground u will find them
Old 10-24-2004, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Watch for nests , the more the better .
When you find a spot that has a nest in roughly every tenth tree sit down under one that gives you a shot at as many of the nest trees as possible and become a statue . When the tree rats begin to come out again since they've forgotten you , start watching where they go and shoot when they concentrate in an area with lots of food if you're using a shotgun . Alternatively , you can pick them off one by one in the trees when they break cover , use a cylinder to modified choke .

If using a .22 follow above , but wait for them to calm down between shots .
Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 AM

don't give up on the squirrels and most of all ; "Don't give up on your son" he may surprise you.just have a good talk with him about all the days you have deer hunted and not taken a deer , then talk squirrels.I think he will understand ; Kids are smarter than we thank.

I always be in the woods befor the first light and set and wait ; just like deer hunting.they will come out(even if the wind is blowning) they just slide down the tree and feed on the ground.when they are on the ground they are more wearey.you have to walk and set real slow.

good luck,and hope he has more luck in the deer season,just be patiance and have fun with him.