Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 What shot size do you guys use on squirrel? >

What shot size do you guys use on squirrel?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Old 08-13-2004, 01:34 PM

Default What shot size do you guys use on squirrel?

Old 08-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What shot size do you guys use on squirrel?

I used to use 7 1/2 but I don't use shotgun for squirrel anymore. I only used it when I hunted after class in college. That way I could also go for birds when the seasons overlaped. But I only use .22 Lr or .17 for squirrel. I hate spitting out shot.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:16 PM

i use 7's in a 28 guage when i hunt with a dog... otherwise i use a 22lr
Old 08-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

6 shot i use a .22 to bbs hurt the teeth
Old 08-13-2004, 09:57 PM

i normally just use a 22 but whatevers in my shotgun if im walkin through the woods
Old 08-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends...if im using low brass cheap stuff i use 6...but if im using good highbrass heavy loads like i use now i go with 7.5 copper plated....bit more expensive....but i like to bust grouse rabbit and pheasants too...and the cheap light loads just dont work that great when you get spooky ringnecks flushing far out.....
Old 08-13-2004, 10:43 PM

i use to use 7 1/2's for them little critters but i really didnt like pickin out all the pellets so i switched to #5's. its pointless usin #6 or smaller cuz there will be too many pellets in the meat. i find wen i use 5's that almost all the pellets just pass right through them...makes it easier to clean and u aint worried about eatin lead....

i also see alot of rabbits and grouse wen im huntin squirrells and find that 5's work quite well on them as well.

if yer worried about rippin up the meat with bigger shot just wait for them to get farther away or use a more open choke....

ch312
Old 08-14-2004, 02:43 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer a 22 rimfire but I have used #6's a few times.
Old 08-14-2004, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because I hate picking out shot from a squirrel I usually favor a 22 but if I'm in a shotgun only zone I use my 12 ga but most small game shells are 1 oz of #6's and usually put a ton of pellet into a squirrel. A few years back I started reloading my own shells and found to be the ultimate squirrel shell is a 7/8 oz target load of chilled #4 or copper plated #4 shot I like the #4 because in 7/8 ounce it brings your pellet count to just over 100 pellets it only take 2 or 3 #4's to take a squirrel down for the count and I like the hardness of chilled or plated shot b/c of better penetration. But to even lessen the pellet count even more I usually aim high so the squirrel only catches the bottom of the shot string. I hope this post was helpful
Old 08-14-2004, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

i rarley use a shotgun for squirrel but when i do i just use them cheap target loads i think there a mix like 6-8 but they do the trick just fine

Quick Reply: What shot size do you guys use on squirrel?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.