Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Have a huge cougar problem, need advise.. >

Have a huge cougar problem, need advise..

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Have a huge cougar problem, need advise..

Old 08-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Spike

Default Have a huge cougar problem, need advise..

One of my friends has a couple of cougars around his place, normally thats not a big deal but, when they start keeping you up a night, running off with your dogs, and you hear them stalking you at night, they have to go! So he's been begging me to shoot them Ive got a .243 and a .30-06, was wondering if a .243 is enough gun for a cougar, and maybe what the best way to go about it? If we get'um he wants to stuff at least one of them...any help would be great...
Old 08-01-2004, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have a huge cougar problem, need advise..

I have read about hunters taking TREEed mountin lions with 357 revolvers ,the 243 should be enough IMO with proper bullets. As for how,is it legal and or season? I live in ohio we just have yotes but try a fawn in destress call and watch your back ,You could be on the menu if it comes to find the fawn .
Old 08-01-2004, 10:02 PM

.243 should be plenty of gun for cougar. I'd use 100 gr bullets.

Depending on what State you're in license and permit regulations vary. Be careful.

Nordicthug
Old 08-01-2004, 11:30 PM
Spike

Well thats good to know! I talked to the wildlife guys and they told me if it's private property and you got livestock to go for it, so I guess I'll use the .243. Any one know of any good repelent?(bear,cougar,or some kind of all-predator repelent that works, in case worst comes to worst?) I have both cottontail distress, and fawn bleat. Anyone know if cougars prefer one over the other? Ive called coyotes with the cottontail, just wonder if a fawn bleat will bring a coujar in a little quicker though thanks for your help
Old 08-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let me put it this way if a Cougar is in the middle of an attack on you ..no 243 or pepper spray or anything will help you, it will be on you that fast. They have been killed and are regularly killed with 357 mags. Depending on how big you are compared to him/her you can only fight it off and hope for the best.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:22 PM

my dad and his friends use to hunt cats, they always used a .22 mag pistol and shot them in the head once they had been treed, you can't even tell where the hole was on the mounts.

if you're not hunting with dogs i'd say the .243 is a good choice, use a light bullet with limited expansion to minimize damage to the hide.

if worst comes to worse shoot them twice with that .243, you don't need repellent.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

As was said by oldelk....when these cats attack they are not playing games, they mean and have every intent to kill as you are their prey!!! If you do not have enough gun you had best be prepared to fight for your life.....as that is what these cats want if you are ever attacked, to eat you!! Just a thought......
Old 08-03-2004, 11:09 PM

wow, a 243 will be good enough for one........... its a good thing that i live here in tn & not there
Old 08-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jroot
if worst comes to worse shoot them twice with that .243, you don't need repellent.
I agree 100% with jroot on this one
Old 08-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

First off your not going to see one before you have a chance to use that 243 or whatever. If there were no dog hunting , they wouldn't be shot at all by hunters unless it was some very rare circumstance. The Indians used to call them Shadow cats because they would walk behind you or to either side of you and parallel you and watch your movements. If you have a house cat and watched it hunt it is the same exact motions only 100-150 lbs heavier. Any animal that can take down a mature Bull Elk I have all the respect in the world for.

Quick Reply: Have a huge cougar problem, need advise..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.