Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Ah, that little .17...

Old 07-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ah, that little .17...

New found respect for my little .17hmr...I've been poppin groundhogs with it the past week and it is a sweet little round...9 so far, all stone cold dead with 1 shot each...Longest shot to date, 173 yds, stone cold dead, 1 shot through the shoulders...
Old 08-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ah, that little .17...

Sounds like lots of fun... Can’t wait to take mine out....... I’ve only had it for maybe 4 month but just haven’t had the time. Hopefully by mid August.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 AM

Don't use the CCI hollowpoints, i've found they don't do any damge not to mention that accuracy in my CZ452 American is over 1inch when with the Hornady Ballistic tips that get .6 inch accuracy at 100yrds make the animal exploded.

It my new favorite round. Me and my cousin shot 50+ gophers in roughly 2hrs. Not one made the slightest movement after being hit with the Federals or the Hornady ballistic tips. My farthest shot with it is 140yrds.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Typical Buck

Believe it or not, the little round just isn't doing a lot of damage to the groundhogs. I've shot squirrlies with it last fall and some would go right through and some would blow a tangerine out the other side...all due to shot placement. The squirrels were under 60 yds while I've yet to shoot a ghog that close with it...
Old 08-15-2004, 04:54 PM

I thought i was having fun with my old .22 but this .17 is a blast. I have had it for two years now and have taken oodles crows a dozen coyotes piles of squirrels. I put a 4 to 16 power weaver on my 77/17 ruger. once you learn were it shoots and you have range finder sniping crows out of fields is a blast my longest crow kill 237 yds, had to hold a bit high but it sure did ventilate him.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 17 hmr is my baby, gotta love her and her laminte stock and stainless barrel