Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.17 HMR

Old 04-06-2004, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default .17 HMR

Hey a lot of you guys have 17's in marlins and savages, how do you like them and aroud what price did you pay for yours? Looking into buying one this summer and hoping to get some idea on price and a review or two.( I know many of you have posted whether you like them or not so sorry to ask, I have been paying attention to what has already been posted.)
Old 04-09-2004, 01:40 PM

Default RE: .17 HMR

I picked up a savage, synthetic stock, heavy barrel, 5 shot clip bolt action. The bare gun set me back about 270 dollars Canadian. Then i had the taxes, registration fee, and a scope to pay for. It turned out to be a little more than i wanted to spend when all was said and done but i don't regret my purchase.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:44 PM

I bought a Marlin plain Jane and it set me back about $150.00 US. I installed an after market trigger assembly, a decent scope and it shoots like a dream. I was wacking ground rats out to 250 yards. I don't think I'd try to wack a coyote with it but for smaller game, it does the job. Marlin customer service is terrific too. They are very responsive to their customers. For a mere $15.00, they did a complete rework of my wife's old model 60 semi-auto. I decided to refinish the stock so I just mailed them the action. When they sent it back, it sported a brand new stock....for $15.00. Amazing.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:51 PM
jjt

i picked up the savage 17 HMR GLV
total price with tax $223
here is what i posted in the fire arm review
well i finally got to go out and do some shooting today after owning the gun almost a week

i was very impressed with the savage rifle that i paid just over $200.00

i dont know quite how to word it
but for the money this is a very high quality rifle.

the bolt is smooth
the hevy barrel is well blued
the stock has a decent finish
the rifle shoots sub moa groups out of the box
the trigger is a little heavy but is very tolerable

total cost of my new toy $568

$223 for rifle
$250 for leupold 3x9x40 vx II
$35 for rings( rifle comes with bases)
$25 for new cleaning rod and brushes for a .17 caliber
$35 for 200 rounds of ammo

after shooting it well worth every penny

savage gets 2 thumbs up from me
Old 04-20-2004, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin 17 vs 306$ (stainless/laminate)
TIGHT groups, absoletly love this gun. The trigger is heavy but it didnt effect how it shot much, i replaced the trigger spring with one out of a ball point pen. If i had it to do over again I would still choose the Marlin though I may go with the Marlin 17 v (blue/wood). However I wouldnt complain about owning one of the savages either. I think most other 17s are to high priced (except NEFS).
Old 04-20-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't own one but my buddy just bought one, the Savage with the bull barrel and 5 rd mag., topped it off with a BSA Sweet 17 scope. At 100 yds shooting at full soda cans and milk jugs, I was really impressed. Milk jugs ripped apart and the soda cans were violently shredded into pieces. Others say they use them for squirrel hunting and if they hit in the forward part of the body all that's left is the hind part. Personally the only thing I don't like is the stock, very light, almost toylike.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:37 PM

my roommate has one and i killed 5 groundhogs with it this weekend ranging 30 yards to 160 yards. The first couple were through the eye or the ear... i love the thing but my .22-250 can reach out there a lot further so i love that to shoot them in the cornfields really far away
Old 04-21-2004, 07:13 PM

I hope it isn't to late, but if you are are after a squirrel gun, i wouldn't get that, but if you are afer a universal gun waht i would recommend is the Ruger 77/22 WMRF do to the fact that you can change in and out with the barrel, and have a two in one gun, but if you are after an auto i would go with 10/22 WMRF. i don't wanna sound like i'm a spokesman for Ruger, but they do make some great .22/.17 caliber riles.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is it really that easy to switch the barrels back and forth???? Seems like it could get expensive in sighting in back and forth. Just wondering.[&:]
Old 05-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

After you take the stock off it is only two screws to take the barrel off.